problems configuring uni network connections.

Old September 19th 04, 08:38 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Beauchampy

Default problems configuring uni network connections.

I somehow have been drafted in at my dorms to be the local techie for people
having problems connecting to the internet connections.

On some machines, Im having a spot of trouble. The network connection is
fine, network connections shows that the PC has been assigned an IP address
by the server and ipconfig shows normal activity. The problem is that
internet explorer just displays 'this page could not be displayed' message.
I have been in the internet options (in IE), made sure any dialup
connections have been removed and been through the wizard to configure the
connection for a broadband connection that is always on.

Any ideas?

Beauchampy

Old September 19th 04, 08:48 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
None

could be a problem with MTU settings

when you try to go to a web page, do you get the text web page found
at the bottom left of IE and after a while is displays the error
message.

does this effect all web pages or just a few...

can do a trace route to web sites etc

Old September 19th 04, 08:54 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
NoSpam

Beauchampy wrote:

I somehow have been drafted in at my dorms to be the local techie for people
having problems connecting to the internet connections.

On some machines, Im having a spot of trouble. The network connection is
fine, network connections shows that the PC has been assigned an IP address
by the server and ipconfig shows normal activity. The problem is that
internet explorer just displays 'this page could not be displayed' message.
I have been in the internet options (in IE), made sure any dialup
connections have been removed and been through the wizard to configure the
connection for a broadband connection that is always on.

Do you have a direct connection to the Internet for web traffic, or must
you go through a proxy server?

If so, make sure the proxy settings are entered in the machines you're
having trouble with.

Old September 19th 04, 09:01 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Beauchampy

"None" wrote in message
could be a problem with MTU settings

when you try to go to a web page, do you get the text web page found
at the bottom left of IE and after a while is displays the error
message.

something flashes past very quickly on the bottom left and the error
immediately displays...

Old September 19th 04, 11:43 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Andrew Sayers

"Beauchampy" wrote:

snip

Do you have a direct connection to the Internet for web traffic, or must
you go through a proxy server?

it's direct

If so, make sure the proxy settings are entered in the machines you're
having trouble with.

Try setting the gateway address manually

--
The reply to email address is a copy of a spammer's address
Please feel free to use it.
Old September 20th 04, 12:33 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Michael Salem

If you can ping an address on your local network (e.g. 192.168.1.1, but
this will depend on your network), then you have basic network
connectivity.

If you can successfully ping a numeric address on the Internet which is
set up to respond, you are connected to the Internet. Any such address
will do; e.g. 195.149.20.145

If you can successfully ping an Internet named address which is set up
to respond, your DNS server is OK. www.nildram.co.uk will do

If all the above work, a web browser should work.

Otherwise try setting your gateway address manually, as soemone has
suggested. You will need to know your network's gateway ddress.

Set your DNS address to a working DNS server (any DNS server on the
Internet should do, though you would normally use your ISP's).

HTH,
--
Michael Salem
Old September 20th 04, 03:45 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , Beauchampy says...
I somehow have been drafted in at my dorms to be the local techie for people
having problems connecting to the internet connections.

On some machines, Im having a spot of trouble. The network connection is
fine, network connections shows that the PC has been assigned an IP address
by the server and ipconfig shows normal activity. The problem is that
internet explorer just displays 'this page could not be displayed' message.
I have been in the internet options (in IE), made sure any dialup
connections have been removed and been through the wizard to configure the
connection for a broadband connection that is always on.

Any ideas?

Yup...

No/incorrect entry for DNS Server.

--
Conor

Opinions personal, facts suspect.
Old September 20th 04, 09:47 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Beauchampy

"Conor" wrote in message
. ..
In article , Beauchampy says...
I somehow have been drafted in at my dorms to be the local techie for

people
having problems connecting to the internet connections.

On some machines, Im having a spot of trouble. The network connection is
fine, network connections shows that the PC has been assigned an IP

address
by the server and ipconfig shows normal activity. The problem is that
internet explorer just displays 'this page could not be displayed'

message.
I have been in the internet options (in IE), made sure any dialup
connections have been removed and been through the wizard to configure

the
connection for a broadband connection that is always on.

Any ideas?

Yup...

No/incorrect entry for DNS Server.

none entered on mine and it works perfectly...

Old September 20th 04, 08:05 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
James

"Beauchampy" wrote in message

"Conor" wrote in message
. ..
In article , Beauchampy says...
[...]

Neat trick... you'll be assigned one from dhcp then - type IPCONFIG /ALL at
a Dos prompt and see what it says.
For the o.p. also check tht "automatically detect settings" is turned off in
the Internet Explorer connection properties - I've seen this get set on for
a lan connection but cause problems. Otherwise, as others said, check your
gateway and DNS are correct, manually specifying them if necessary, and try
pinging some external names and addresses to see at what point its going
wrong.

If all is well, also check with your server bods as they may have policies
set up to block outgoing connections for certain internal addresses etc etc.