Network Printer gone missing with XP SP2

Old September 20th 04, 08:45 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Steve Bilton

Default Network Printer gone missing with XP SP2

Help!

Everything was fine... able to print to the networked LaserJet... then
came SP2.

Now there are no LAN connections displayed under My Networks, I can
ping the print server and the lights flash, but when I send a print
job to the printer - nothing - after a while I get a message flash up
saying that there was a problem - really helpful.

So I disabled the Windows Firewall SP2 kindly activated, McAffee was
still behaving, thank you!

No change.

What can I do. There are plenty of answers via google about removing
SP2 and then needing to reinstall XP as you are left in a nomansland
between SP1 and SP2 and I really don't want to do that.

Is there anything that I can do? - other than connecting the laser to
LPT1?

Many thanks

SteveB
Old September 20th 04, 09:27 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Steve Bilton

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 19:45:47 +0100, Steve Bilton
wrote:

[...]

I know it's not good to follow-up your own post, but..

I can print from the Laptop (XP SP2) over the wireless network to the
router to the wired print server, but not from the wired
desktop-router-print server!
Old September 21st 04, 02:33 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Michael Salem

Steve Bilton wrote:

Everything was fine... able to print to the networked LaserJet... then
came SP2.

Now there are no LAN connections displayed under My Networks, I can
ping the print server and the lights flash, but when I send a print
job to the printer - nothing - after a while I get a message flash up
saying that there was a problem - really helpful.

It might be a known issue for the particular print server: try Googling,
and asking HP. A print server firmware update might help.

I've had diabolical, hair-tearing problems with HP print servers (pre-
XP). In my case networking software installed on the workstation was the
problem (Novell Client32); when it was updated the problem went away.

Best wishes,
--
Michael Salem
Old September 21st 04, 01:13 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Steve Bilton

Michael Salem wrote:
Steve Bilton wrote:
Everything was fine... able to print to the networked LaserJet...

then
came SP2.

It might be a known issue for the particular print server: try

Googling,
and asking HP. A print server firmware update might help.
Best wishes,
--
Michael Salem

Michael,

That was a consideration, however now being able to print from my
laptop - also XP SP2 - I'd discounted the print server as being the
problem...

I thought that due to the fact there are no network connections shown
in Network Connections on the desktop that it has to be a SP2 caused
issue?

Thanks anyway.

SteveB

Old September 21st 04, 02:45 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Michael Salem

Steve Bilton wrote:

Michael Salem wrote:
Steve Bilton wrote:
Everything was fine... able to print to the networked LaserJet...

then
came SP2.

It might be a known issue for the particular print server: try

Googling,
and asking HP. A print server firmware update might help.
Best wishes,
--
Michael Salem

Michael,

That was a consideration, however now being able to print from my
laptop - also XP SP2 - I'd discounted the print server as being the
problem...

I thought that due to the fact there are no network connections shown
in Network Connections on the desktop that it has to be a SP2 caused
issue?

It could possibly be a compatibility issue with XP SP2 specifically.
Note "possibly" rather than "probably".

But my posting is a reflection of my approach to compatibility problems:
if there is no obvious answer, before going into very detailed analysis,
make sure that everything is bang up-to-date.

You could install a network analyser to see what difference there is
when trying to print from the two machines. There is a free (GNU)
analyser, ETHEREAL.

Best wishes,
--
Michael Salem