BT Broadband

Old September 21st 04, 11:37 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
KE

Default BT Broadband

Hi all

As a Dane just arrived in London I find myself puzzled by a number of
things, one of which you might be able to help me with:

In my flat we have BT Broadband Internet with the logon - it is a Voyager
USB ADSL modem, hence one computer online at a time.
I have brought from home a Wlan and ethernet router. I wanted to setup Wlan
in the flat so I called BT to find out how to connect the USB modem to the
router. I found out that could not be done, but I could in computerworld buy
a ADSL modem with ethernet instead and hook this up as a sub for the USB
modem. But having done that I cannot get online with a ethernet cable from
the modem to the pc. I have tried setting the connection (on my PC - WinXP
home) to a broadband that requires logon (Popp) and as a always on - but
neither gives me access.

My new ADSL modem (Speedstream) has steady light in power and ethernet - but
no light in DSL. I am unsure wether you need to log on to get an online
status from the modem.

Have anyone experience in this area?

Regards,
KE

Old September 21st 04, 12:16 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
[ste parker]

KE wrote:
[...]

Have you actually set up the Speedstream (*not* the PC itself) to
connect to your broadband service? ie. did you connect the PC to the
Speedstream, then go to http://192.168.0.1 and put in your ADSL setup
details there?

As for your previous problem, I'm not 100% certain but I would have
thought you could have used your USB modem attached to your PC, enabled
internet connection sharing, then used that connection via the router to
other PCs in the first place. BT were right that you couldn't plug the
ADSL modem into the router and run it from there though.

--
[ste]
Old September 21st 04, 12:24 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
KE

Have you actually set up the Speedstream (*not* the PC itself) to
connect to your broadband service? ie. did you connect the PC to the
Speedstream, then go to http://192.168.0.1 and put in your ADSL setup
details there?

I have not tried accessing the speedstream setup. Does a modem have a setup
similar to a router? I thought only routers had options for setup.

As for your previous problem, I'm not 100% certain but I would have
thought you could have used your USB modem attached to your PC, enabled
internet connection sharing, then used that connection via the router to
other PCs in the first place. BT were right that you couldn't plug the
ADSL modem into the router and run it from there though.

I did think about that solution, but it would require my computer only 24/7
wouldn't it? BT could also offer a Wlan package for 80 - what it contains I
do not know, maybe a router with modem inside? Are all broadband solutions i
UK with USB as preferred connection?

KE

Old September 21st 04, 01:05 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
[ste parker]

KE wrote:

Have you actually set up the Speedstream (*not* the PC itself) to
connect to your broadband service? ie. did you connect the PC to the
Speedstream, then go to http://192.168.0.1 and put in your ADSL setup
details there?

I have not tried accessing the speedstream setup. Does a modem have a setup
similar to a router? I thought only routers had options for setup.

Sorry, I've just re-read your post and I think I got confused, was
thinking it was a router for some reason, but to be honest I'm not sure
what you *do* actually have! What model is it exactly?

As for your previous problem, I'm not 100% certain but I would have
thought you could have used your USB modem attached to your PC, enabled
internet connection sharing, then used that connection via the router to
other PCs in the first place. BT were right that you couldn't plug the
ADSL modem into the router and run it from there though.

I did think about that solution, but it would require my computer only 24/7
wouldn't it? BT could also offer a Wlan package for 80 - what it contains I
do not know, maybe a router with modem inside? Are all broadband solutions i
UK with USB as preferred connection?

Yes, the connected computer would at least have to be on when someone
else wanted to use the connection. I don't know what is included in
their WLAN package, when I got broadband the other week I preferred to
do it myself so I knew I was getting what I wanted - in my case a
Netgear DG834G Wireless ADSL Firewall Router, which is a router/modem
combo that sits there always on, always connected. Personally I didn't
want anything to do with a USB modem.

--
[ste]
Old September 21st 04, 02:44 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
KE

Sorry, I've just re-read your post and I think I got confused, was
thinking it was a router for some reason, but to be honest I'm not sure
what you *do* actually have! What model is it exactly?

My router is the Linksys WRT54G:
http://www.linksys.com/products/prod...id=35&prid=601
and the modem I got - that need to work is Speedstream - the model number I
do not know (I got it from a friend in Denmark). It is just a standard DSL
modem used by the equivilant of BT called TDC. The modem I got from BT i the
Voyager USB (and not important) since I cannot use it to go wireless.

The connection from my view should be:
Phone outlet -
Microfilter - Phone
Microfilter - ADSL modem (Speedstream) - Wlan Router - Computer(s)

But I am just trying:
Microfilter - ADSL modem - Computer (via ethernet cable)

The cable is working, the modem is working, but I cannot get online neither
with PPoE or always on as settings in WinXP

I don't know what is included in
their WLAN package, when I got broadband the other week I preferred to
do it myself so I knew I was getting what I wanted - in my case a
Netgear DG834G Wireless ADSL Firewall Router, which is a router/modem
combo that sits there always on, always connected. Personally I didn't
want anything to do with a USB modem.

Had I ordered the Broadband I would have made sure to get something of the
sort too. But now that I have the connection I wanted to go Wireless for as
little as possible. I thought it might just be a setup error on my PC, but
maybe I need to buy the official solution at BT. Your router seems a tad
expensive, maybe it's due to the firewall. I go an email from someone saying
that I should just buy a combined modem/router - but I have trouble seing
why I cannot use two seperate appliances if I can use a combo-one?

KE

Old September 21st 04, 03:38 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
[ste parker]

KE wrote:

[...]

I'm very much thinking that you should check to see if you need to set
up the modem internally. If you're expecting things to work in your
ideal config, this is how it's got to be as I understand it (I must say
I'm reasonably new to this area myself), see
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/guide/connections.asp

If you do have to do setup via XP, make sure you've got the right
settings - PPPoE is very likely wrong for a start, as far as I'm aware
in the UK it's mostly PPPoA (see
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/qanda.asp?faq=DSLHardware for possible
default settings, and check with your ISP).

I don't know what is included in
their WLAN package, when I got broadband the other week I preferred to
do it myself so I knew I was getting what I wanted - in my case a
Netgear DG834G Wireless ADSL Firewall Router, which is a router/modem
combo that sits there always on, always connected. Personally I didn't
want anything to do with a USB modem.

Had I ordered the Broadband I would have made sure to get something of the
sort too. But now that I have the connection I wanted to go Wireless for as
little as possible. I thought it might just be a setup error on my PC, but
maybe I need to buy the official solution at BT. Your router seems a tad
expensive, maybe it's due to the firewall. I go an email from someone saying
that I should just buy a combined modem/router - but I have trouble seing
why I cannot use two seperate appliances if I can use a combo-one?

You don't need to buy the "official solution", especially when you've
got a load of stuff already I thought the router was a bargain,
considering it's my ADSL modem, my 802.11g wireless router (so it's
actually usable for file sharing over wireless just about), my 4 port
ethernet router (if I wanted to use cabling), my firewall, and I got a
free 802.11g Wireless PC Card with it to use with my laptop too.

--
[ste]
Old September 22nd 04, 11:55 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ron Reid

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 09:37:04 +0000 (UTC), "KE" kimkoruperiksen[remove
wrote:

[...]

You would have been better posting this in uk.telecom.broadband.

Basically you need EITHER a USB modem or an adsl router which has the
modem built in. You cannot use both at the same time. You connect to
the router with a standard ethernet cable and connect the router to
your telephone connection.

You need to set up the router with all the details of your logon as
provided by BT - there will be a setup page somewhere accessible from
a web browser or telnet connection. I am sorry I am not familiar with
the Speedstream.

If your router has a built in switch or hub then you simply connect
other computers (or a WLAN access gizmo) to the other ports. If not
connect a switch or hub to the ethernet port on the router and
proceed.

Hope this helps

Ron
Old September 22nd 04, 02:48 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
KE

[SNIP] help

Hope this helps

I have found out that my modem is with the PPPoE and I need PPPoA standard.
Furthermore my modem (from DK) does not accept G.DMT (or something like it)
so I will have to buy a new modem or possibly modem/router combo!

Thanks for all the help I've gotten here

Kim

Old September 22nd 04, 03:18 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Michael Salem

I have found out that my modem is with the PPPoE and I need PPPoA standard.
Furthermore my modem (from DK) does not accept G.DMT (or something like it)
so I will have to buy a new modem or possibly modem/router combo!

I've avoided jumping in here, as I don't know about different standards
in different countries.

You might save yourself some complication at the cost of some money by
buying a combined UK ADSL modem/router/wireless access point ("ADSL
wireless router").

it is perfectly possible to use separate ADSL modem, router, and AP.

Old September 23rd 04, 12:55 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
THe NuTTeR

Hiya
A lot of people have told you a lot of crap.
A standalone modem with DSL in and ethernet out will need configuring.
Ideally you want it set in bridge mode PPPoA VC mux. VCI/VPI 0/38
I noticed you said it doesn't support G.dmt, which may be a problem, not
100% on that side tho.
If it doesn't work, all you need is a uk standard modem that does the
same job as the one you have.
www.ebuyer.com is a good place to start, just make sure you look
carefully at what you buy.
Good luck getting it sorted, and if you need any more help, try asking
again, the other group suggested might be able to help too.
another group that might help is comp.dcom.xdsl, although it is mostly
american, and they have a very different setup to the UK.