PCI adapter card query

Old September 22nd 04, 07:37 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Wot me stupid

Default PCI adapter card query

I have a pc win XP SP2 and a laptop Win XP SP2. I'm using a crossover cable
to connect for file sharing. There is one Ethernet socket on each computer
which is being used by the crossover cable. I have my cable modem connected
to the main computer via USB. If I want to connect the laptop to the
internet, would an Ethernet Adapter PCI Card installed on the main pc and an
Ethernet lead from the cable modem do the trick?Would this mean that I can
then get out to the Internet from laptop or do I have to set-up up
addresses?
Any one?

Old September 22nd 04, 10:51 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
logized

"Wot me stupid" wrote in message
news
I have a pc win XP SP2 and a laptop Win XP SP2. I'm using a crossover

cable
to connect for file sharing. There is one Ethernet socket on each computer
which is being used by the crossover cable. I have my cable modem

connected
to the main computer via USB. If I want to connect the laptop to the
internet, would an Ethernet Adapter PCI Card installed on the main pc and

an
Ethernet lead from the cable modem do the trick?Would this mean that I can
then get out to the Internet from laptop or do I have to set-up up
addresses?
Any one?

You could buy a 4 port router and plug the cable modem and pcs into that via
normal network cables and your existing network cards. This also provides
dhcp IP addresses for both machines and if you get one with a built-in
firewall, better security.
Ebuyer do one cheap that I found to work ok with a Telewest cable modem.
see

Dave

Old September 22nd 04, 10:57 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ben Cottrell

mike wrote:

just install a second enet card in one machine for the cm & use ics.

There's no Need for this, the OP already has everything set up - all he
needs to do now is either enable WinXP's ICS, or find some 3rd party ICS
Software such as SyGate to share his internet connection. Installing
a 2nd Ethernet Card is unnecessary.

For the OP : Have a look at this website for information on sharing an
internet connection.

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/

--
Ben Cottrell AKA Bench