Problems configuring network

Old September 22nd 04, 07:22 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Default Problems configuring network

Can anybody help?
I am trying to set up a network of 3 machines at home, 2 are on WIN98SE
and 1 on WINME. I have CAT5e cable, a 5port Netgear switch and PCI
network cards, I plugged everything in expecting it to be "plug & play"
and it isn't, the lights on the switch are flashing so presumably there
is some movement through the cables. I have fiddled with the settings in
the configuration box assigning ip addresses and subnet masks but still
nothing. I am on isdn and in the dialogue box there are tcp/ip addresses
for the dial up connection and the network card, the former assigning an
address automatically the latter having a specific address, could this
be a conflict. the listing in the box is as follows:

Client for Microsoft Networks
Dial Up Adaptor
F5D5000 PCI card/Desktp Network PCI card
NDISWAN network driver for BTDA USB
IPX/SPX-compatible protocol- Dial up adaptor
IPX/SPX-compatible protocol- F5D5000 PCI card/Desktop Network PCI card
NDISWAN- NDISWAN network driver for BTDA USB
NetBEUI- Dial up adaptor
NetBEUI- F5D5000 PCI card/Desktop Network PCI card
TCP/IP- Dial up adaptor
TCP/IP- F5D5000 PCI card/Desktop Network PCI card
File and Print Sharing for Microsoft Networks

This looks too much but am unsure what to remove (if any)

any help gratefully received
--
David
Old September 22nd 04, 11:47 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
THe NuTTeR

What are you trying to acheive? If you want to share the internet
connection, you would be better off with an ISDN router, if you can find
one (3Com used to do them in the office connect range). If not, then you
will need to install internet connection sharing (ICS) it comes with
98SE upwards. Will allow the internet connected PC to share the
connection on a LAN and assign IP addresses.

Just out of interest can any of the computers "talk" to each other, eg
Ping or file sharing.
IP addresses need to be in the same subnet. the easiest way to do this
is use a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and just change the last octet.
Private addresses (which you have to use) are 192.168.x.x 10.x.x.x and
172.16.x.x use whatever you like for the x, but make sure the last x is
different for each computer.
eg 10.10.10.1 for the ISDN computer
10.10.10.2 for the 2nd
10.10.10.3 for the 3rd
subnet mask 255.255.255.0 for all 3.
Hope I've helped.

wrote in message
snip details

Old September 23rd 04, 03:05 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

In article , THe NuTTeR
writes
[...]

wrote in message
.. .
snip details

Thanks for replying... I'm trying to set up a simple network to share
printers and files and to enable the kids to play network games also to
share the ISDN connection, I was told(?) the best way to do this would
be with a switch rather than a router. I have set the IP addresses to
192.168.0.1,2,3 and the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0. I have also tried
putting the ip addresses in the gateway box (not sure if I need to do
this or not as I have had conflicting advice) I had tried a couple of
walk thru's but still no luck, how do you ping?

--
David
Old September 23rd 04, 07:06 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Nig

wrote:
Can anybody help?
I am trying to set up a network of 3 machines at home, 2 are on WIN98SE
and 1 on WINME. I have CAT5e cable, a 5port Netgear switch and PCI
network cards, I plugged everything in expecting it to be "plug & play"
and it isn't, the lights on the switch are flashing so presumably there
is some movement through the cables. I have fiddled with the settings in
the configuration box assigning ip addresses and subnet masks but still
nothing. I am on isdn and in the dialogue box there are tcp/ip addresses
for the dial up connection and the network card, the former assigning an
address automatically the latter having a specific address, could this
be a conflict. the listing in the box is as follows:

This is written with a cable modem in mind, but you can substitute your
ISDN connection for the cable connections and rather than sharing a NIC
you need to share your ISDN DUN connection:

http://www.networklab.co.uk/cmodem/ics.html

Client for Microsoft Networks
Dial Up Adaptor
F5D5000 PCI card/Desktp Network PCI card
NDISWAN network driver for BTDA USB
IPX/SPX-compatible protocol- Dial up adaptor
IPX/SPX-compatible protocol- F5D5000 PCI card/Desktop Network PCI card
NDISWAN- NDISWAN network driver for BTDA USB
NetBEUI- Dial up adaptor
NetBEUI- F5D5000 PCI card/Desktop Network PCI card
TCP/IP- Dial up adaptor
TCP/IP- F5D5000 PCI card/Desktop Network PCI card
File and Print Sharing for Microsoft Networks

This looks too much but am unsure what to remove (if any)

You should not need IPX/SPX stuff at all, so you can delete all
references to that. You can do the same with NETBUEI, tho' you will need
to make sure netbios over tcp/ip is enabled if you want to share files
(actually, you only want this enabled on the LAN side, not the ISDN
side. Should make things a bit neater:-) I'm not sure what the BTDA USB
thingy is, so I don't know if you need this, sorry.

any help gratefully received

HIH, but come back if there's something you're not sure of:-)
Old September 23rd 04, 11:05 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
THe NuTTeR

Thanks for replying... I'm trying to set up a simple network to share
printers and files and to enable the kids to play network games also
share the ISDN connection, I was told(?) the best way to do this would
be with a switch rather than a router. I have set the IP addresses to
192.168.0.1,2,3 and the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0. I have also
tried
putting the ip addresses in the gateway box (not sure if I need to do
this or not as I have had conflicting advice) I had tried a couple of
walk thru's but still no luck, how do you ping?

Whoever told you that wasn't the sharpest tool in the box, or just has
never seen IDSN routers.
The gateway address needs to be the address of the device (router or PC
running ICS) that has the way out in it
There are loads of guides online.
Pinging is done from a command/DOS prompt, by typing the word ping
followed by an IP address or machine name if there is a way to resolve
the name.examples are

ping 192.168.2.5
ping main_pc
ping www.microsoft.com

hope thats been helpful

Old September 25th 04, 07:19 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

In article , Nig
writes

(Snipped to get it on one page)

any help gratefully received

HIH, but come back if there's something you're not sure of:-)

Its working! I don't know why exactly but I rechecked all settings, re-
bedded the pci cards and hey presto, so.. network is fine but I'm now
trying to Internet share via the main machine, I tried installing
Internet connection sharing but this then prevents the connection
altogether??, do I need to install the ISP software on each machine or
can I just connect with ie? do I need to connect the main machine to the
Internet and then go via that connection or can I connect from the other
machines?

again TIA
--
David
Old September 27th 04, 06:39 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Nig

wrote:

Its working! I don't know why exactly but I rechecked all settings, re-
bedded the pci cards and hey presto, so.. network is fine but I'm now
trying to Internet share via the main machine, I tried installing
Internet connection sharing but this then prevents the connection
altogether??,

Just to check, you are sharing the ISDN connection and not the NIC? When
sharing is set-up correctly, your NIC will have it's address set as
192.168.0.1. Your other machines also need IP addresses of 192.168.0.x,
where x is a number between 2 and 254. They will also need to have their
gateway set to the ICS machine, i.e., 192.168.0.1. This can all be set
automatically by setting the clients to auto IP address, or dhcp.

In addition they will also need a DNS server, and for this I'd recommend
using your ISPs. ICS on 9x was not very reliable at passing DNS onto the
client via dhcp, IME.

do I need to install the ISP software on each machine or
can I just connect with ie?

You shouldn't need anything from your ISP on the client machines. In
most cases you won't need anything on the ICS machine either.

do I need to connect the main machine to the
Internet and then go via that connection or can I connect from the other
machines?

The clients should cause the ICS machine to bring up the ISDN line, but
obviously the ICS machine will need to be powered on.

Old October 28th 04, 10:54 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

In article , Domminic Hyde
writes
wrote:
In article , Nig
writes

(Snipped to get it on one page)

any help gratefully received

HIH, but come back if there's something you're not sure of:-)

Its working! I don't know why exactly but I rechecked all settings, re-
bedded the pci cards and hey presto, so.. network is fine but I'm now
trying to Internet share via the main machine, I tried installing
Internet connection sharing but this then prevents the connection
altogether??, do I need to install the ISP software on each machine or
can I just connect with ie? do I need to connect the main machine to the
Internet and then go via that connection or can I connect from the other
machines?

again TIA

ICS is very iffy remove it and try analogX proxy

I've given up on ics anyway and just got a isdn router switch thing that
should solve all my probems! thanks for replying
--
David