Newbie Question

Old September 22nd 04, 08:41 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Steve Ford

Default Newbie Question

Hi,

I have a wireless network of sorts - a PC with broadband connection that
links to a laptop through 2 wireless Belkin network cards. Both running XP
Home. The Internet Connection is shared but I have had problems sharing
files/printers etc. Also the range is dissappointing - you have to be in
adjacent rooms to get a good connection.

Anyway, I am about to get a new desktop PC and want to connect all 3 and it
will be more important to share printers and files. I am assuming that I
need a Wireless router including a DSL modem plus another wireless network
card. But some questions:

1. Do I need a router/modem or can I just go for a router and connect my
existing USB DSL modem to the router?

2. I presume that I could leave the modem attached to the existing PC and
other PCs connect to the net through that PC - the disadvantage being that
this 'main' PC will have to be turned on permanantly.

3. Assuming the answer is that I need a modem/router then do I need the
wireless card or can I connect one of the PCs to the router with a network
cable (it does have a network card!). PC and router likely to be in the same
room.

4. Am I likely to get a better range with a wireless router? If not then I
might have to go for a wired network. I supose the advantage is that I can
position the router anywhere in the house and hopefully there will be one
position that gives a good connection to all 3 PCs.

5. Should I go for a Belkin router in light of thecards that I have? or will
all networking kit speak to each other with minimal configuration. (I'll
make sure its all 54g)

6. In terms of installation, I'm planning to uninstall the network cards
from existing PCs and delete the network and then start from stratch. Does
that sound best?

Sorry! but some advice will be gratefully received.

Thanks

Steve

Old September 23rd 04, 12:41 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
THe NuTTeR

Answers inline
"Steve Ford" wrote in message
Hi,

I have a wireless network of sorts - a PC with broadband connection
that links to a laptop through 2 wireless Belkin network cards. Both
running XP Home. The Internet Connection is shared but I have had
problems sharing files/printers etc. Also the range is
dissappointing - you have to be in adjacent rooms to get a good
connection.

Anyway, I am about to get a new desktop PC and want to connect all 3
and it will be more important to share printers and files. I am
assuming that I need a Wireless router including a DSL modem plus
another wireless network card. But some questions:

1. Do I need a router/modem or can I just go for a router and connect
my existing USB DSL modem to the router?

You will either need a dsl modem/router, or a modem with ethernet
connection and a broadband router with ethernet WAN port. The latter
takes more config, but is more flexible (eg if you move and then go to
cable) If you get a separate router and access point then you can hard
wire the newest PC, and get an access point that you can put centrally
in the house, and hopefully get good coverage.
More separate devices mean more cables, and more complication to set up
tho. Sometimes more expensive, but easier to replace one bit, eg
wireless access point when new wireless standard appears, new router if
your needs change, etc

2. I presume that I could leave the modem attached to the existing PC
and other PCs connect to the net through that PC - the disadvantage
being that this 'main' PC will have to be turned on permanantly.

You can, would need a way to join the 3rd PC in tho, wireless NIC,
wireless bridge (ethernet - wireless) , Wireless Access Point
(connected with crossover)
Also leaves the "main" PC more vulnerable than a router would.

3. Assuming the answer is that I need a modem/router then do I need
the wireless card or can I connect one of the PCs to the router with a
network cable (it does have a network card!). PC and router likely to
be in the same room.

See above, but its also best to configure a router with a wired
connection, for one thing firmware upgrades are dangerous over wireless,
and you can still get into config without a hardware reset if you bugger
up the WLAN security settings.

4. Am I likely to get a better range with a wireless router? If not
then I might have to go for a wired network. I supose the advantage is
that I can position the router anywhere in the house and hopefully
there will be one position that gives a good connection to all 3 PCs.

Possibly, you should be able to move the AP to make sure you do.

5. Should I go for a Belkin router in light of thecards that I have?
or will all networking kit speak to each other with minimal
configuration. (I'll make sure its all 54g)

A belkin device may make things easier, as defaults would be the same,
but not vital.

6. In terms of installation, I'm planning to uninstall the network
cards from existing PCs and delete the network and then start from
stratch. Does that sound best?

Not really necessary. Just connect to the new wireless network when it
is discovered.

Sorry! but some advice will be gratefully received.

Thanks

Steve

Hope I've helped you, and not confused things too much.