XP SP2 and Network problem?

Old September 22nd 04, 10:56 PM posted to comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,uk.comp.home-networking
KKK

Default XP SP2 and Network problem?

I have got 2 PCs connected to a broadband modem via a router. I have
been able to share the drives and both PCs have accessed the internet.

Having installed the SP2, problems seem to have started. Both PCs can
surf the internet but will not talk to each other - cannot share the
drives as they do not show each other in the network group.

Help appreciated. Is this a SP2 issue?
Old September 22nd 04, 11:20 PM posted to comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,uk.comp.home-networking

KKK wrote:
I have got 2 PCs connected to a broadband modem via a router. I have
been able to share the drives and both PCs have accessed the internet.

Having installed the SP2, problems seem to have started. Both PCs can
surf the internet but will not talk to each other - cannot share the
drives as they do not show each other in the network group.

Help appreciated. Is this a SP2 issue?

This could be related to the security "features " of SP2 - the firewall
perhaps, try disabling it see if it helps?
Old September 22nd 04, 11:29 PM posted to comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,uk.comp.home-networking
THe NuTTeR

SP2 does some interesting things. If you ran it before, try running the
network wizard... you may find you have to run it again anyway, to let
the trafic through the windows firewall. If you find disabling the
firewall helps, then look for a way to reduce what it does on the LAN
connection.

Old September 23rd 04, 06:28 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
KKK

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 23:29:07 +0100, "THe NuTTeR"
wrote:

If you find disabling the firewall helps, then look for a way to reduce what it does on the LAN
connection.

The firewall is disabled - what do you mean by the LAN point please?
Old September 23rd 04, 06:36 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
KKK

The firewall is disabled - what do you mean by the LAN point please?

Also tried running the Network wizzard and get a message "an error
occured on running the configuration wizzard try configuring manually"

How do i run it manually pls?
Old September 23rd 04, 11:39 AM posted to comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,uk.comp.home-networking
Madhur Ahuja

KKK wrote:
I have got 2 PCs connected to a broadband modem via a router. I have
been able to share the drives and both PCs have accessed the internet.

Having installed the SP2, problems seem to have started. Both PCs can
surf the internet but will not talk to each other - cannot share the
drives as they do not show each other in the network group.

Help appreciated. Is this a SP2 issue?

See if the NetBios is enabled. What happens if you do \\computername
or \\ipname.

--
Madhur Ahuja [madhurunderscoreahujaatyahoodotcom]

Homepage
http://madhur.netfirms.com

Old September 23rd 04, 06:48 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Nig

KKK wrote:
I have got 2 PCs connected to a broadband modem via a router. I have
been able to share the drives and both PCs have accessed the internet.

Having installed the SP2, problems seem to have started. Both PCs can
surf the internet but will not talk to each other - cannot share the
drives as they do not show each other in the network group.

Help appreciated. Is this a SP2 issue?

Undoubtably. From your other posting it sounds like you have already
turned the XP firewall off, but when I installed SP2 all I did to get
FPS working again was to tick the F&P sharing box in the exceptions on
the firewall so it does work.

If you re-enable the firewall on one of the PCs, set the exception, then
enable logging both for dropped and succesful connections. Go into a
command prompt on the other PC and try:

net view ret

then:

net view \\otherpchostname ret

Check the log on the other PC and that will hopefully tell if anything
is being blocked. If it's being allowed and you got nothing of interest
from the net view commands, it might be just a case of checking the
settings of your sharing, in case they have been affected, tho' I
haven't noticed this with my update to SP2.

Old September 23rd 04, 07:54 PM posted to comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,uk.comp.home-networking
Jim McColl

I have the same problem. I can connect to the Internet from both computers,
but they do niot see each other. Worked fine before SP2

Old September 23rd 04, 10:07 PM posted to comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,uk.comp.home-networking
Andy Lord

"KKK" wrote in message

I have got 2 PCs connected to a broadband modem via a router. I have
been able to share the drives and both PCs have accessed the internet.

Having installed the SP2, problems seem to have started. Both PCs can
surf the internet but will not talk to each other - cannot share the
drives as they do not show each other in the network group.

Help appreciated. Is this a SP2 issue?

I had the same problem. I *think* I fixed it by just changing the workgroup
name on all PCs on the network and rebooting them all. I was messing about
with lots of other things at the time though so I can't be sure if this is
what sorted it.

Old September 23rd 04, 10:59 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
THe NuTTeR

The firewall is disabled - what do you mean by the LAN point please?

Also tried running the Network wizzard and get a message "an error
occured on running the configuration wizzard try configuring manually"

How do i run it manually pls?

Set up sharing and IP addressing and workgroups and stuff all on your
own, not with the help of the wizard.