USB dongle V router

Old September 23rd 04, 01:12 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
THe NuTTeR

Default USB dongle V router

If you hide the SSID (not always an option, some routers wont do it, and
some cards have issues when you do) enable MAC address filtering, and
enable WEP/WPA then someone really has to want to get into your network.
I know it is more expense, but if you swapped everything for 11a
Wireless, then it would be more secure as less people have the equipment
to access it.

"loaded18" wrote in message
news:1095720830.qJyG1K+vALvqa98Ql/[email protected]

hi all, i have a simple question. i have been using a pair of usb
thumb
dongle for a while now and it not bad as i only need to link up with
my
desktop pc and my laptop every now and then.

now i am planning a third pc/laptop in the house for the son to go
online so i am thinking just another 10 tenner for a dongle, but i
COULD get a router for the main pc and broadcast all round .

my question is, how safe is it ? i have used my friend's Linksys home
network when i visited him with my laptop -no password logon nad he
was
amazed to learnt that he is provding a nice 'hot spot' for every
around
his flat! and i also had him TURN OFF his main (the pc that linked to
the ntl cable modem) and it still works for me AND his other 2 pc
around the home? is that normal? i always thought you need to have the
main pc switched ON for the network to work (as it HAVE to be in my
own
peer to peer usb dongle case) but apparently no , he said the other pc
wil work fine even when his one is OFF.

so is it safe, or should i save money and just get 1 more dongle? i
live in a very closed neighbourhood and i am not mean to SHARE my
network ,but wouldn't it slow me down ?
oj, i know i am dragging on now....
thanks a mill.
KC