client pc internet access

Old September 23rd 04, 10:04 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Wot me stupid

Default client pc internet access

I have posted this on news:comp.os.ms-windows.networking.tcp-ip but they
must be still in bed.
Both computers have XP Home. They are connected by a crossover cable. Both
Windows Firewalls have been disabled. The host computer is running EZ Armour
(there is no problem there, it does the job.) The two pcs' are using NWLink
IPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol to talk to each other. My cable
modem is connected to a second 10/100 LAN Card. Having got that sorted my
next step is to get the client pc to access the internet and to use Outlook
Express. I have tried obtaining the address automatically but that doesn't
work and I have to revert back to 192.168.0.x. Can anyone tell me how to set
this up.
Thank you.

Old September 24th 04, 01:19 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ben Cottrell

Wot me stupid wrote:

I have posted this on news:comp.os.ms-windows.networking.tcp-ip but they
must be still in bed.
Both computers have XP Home. They are connected by a crossover cable. Both
Windows Firewalls have been disabled. The host computer is running EZ Armour
(there is no problem there, it does the job.) The two pcs' are using NWLink
IPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol to talk to each other. My cable
modem is connected to a second 10/100 LAN Card. Having got that sorted my
next step is to get the client pc to access the internet and to use Outlook
Express. I have tried obtaining the address automatically but that doesn't
work and I have to revert back to 192.168.0.x. Can anyone tell me how to set
this up.
Thank you.

it sounds to me as if you're most of the way there...

Have you enabled XP Internet Connection Sharing in your Host computer's
internet connection properties? - ie, the Network card connected to the
cable modem, *NOT* the Local Network card connected to your LAN.

When this is done, your Internet computer will be acting as an internet
gateway for your LAN.

There is nothing wrong with assigning a static Local IP to both
computers. since you only have 2 PCs, it could even make your life easier.

If you do assign IPs manually, Make sure that both PCs have their Subnet
set to 255.255.255.0 ... do not play with any other settings such as
DNS servers etc... everything should work happily left as default.

Finally run the internet configuration wizard on the 2nd PC, and tell it
you want a LAN connection to the internet.

--
Ben Cottrell AKA Bench
Old September 24th 04, 07:32 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Wot me stupid

"Ben Cottrell" wrote in message
Wot me stupid wrote:

[...]

I tried all of the above. With no joy.
I am using Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).

The Client Local Area Connection address is 192.168.0.2 (SiS 900 PCI Fast
Ethernet Adapter) I selected Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP still nothing.

The Host Local Area Connection address is 192.168.0.1 (Realtek RTL8139/810x
family Fast Ethernet NIC) I selected Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP on this card
also, still nothing.

The Host Local Area Connection 2 address is 82.0.178.169 (Realtek
RTL8139/810x family Fast Ethernet NIC#2) I have the NetBIOS Setting at

I have went to the Advanced Tab on the connection #2. I enabled it to
**Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet
Connection.** and just for the hell of it, I also enabled **Allow other
network users to control or disable the shared Internet connection.**
As I said before they can communicate with each other no problem, the host
can access the internet but the client has no chance. Is there any way I can
change addresses or something along that line to enable access?