How can I filter Mac addresses ?

Old September 23rd 04, 03:41 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jim

Default How can I filter Mac addresses ?

How can I filter Mac addresses ?

anyone know where I can get buy a cheap router or device to filter
[access] mac addresses.

I need to allow a pool of mac addresses [users] through to the gateway.
and block any other mac's.
Im using fixed ip and a DHCP pool on the network.

I know its possible with a Linux machine but I need something more admin
friendly such as a web interface on a router.

I havent found an easy way using a PC and windows, but windows is not
reliable.

We do have Cisco switches which I find too complicated to set up a mac
filter system. There also in the wrong path.

Thanks for any replies

Old September 23rd 04, 05:01 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

"Jim" wrote in message
How can I filter Mac addresses ?

anyone know where I can get buy a cheap router or device to filter
[access] mac addresses.

A Linux box...

I need to allow a pool of mac addresses [users] through to the gateway.
and block any other mac's.
Im using fixed ip and a DHCP pool on the network.

I know its possible with a Linux machine but I need something more admin
friendly such as a web interface on a router.

More "admin friendly" than a text file of MAC addresses? All you'd need
would be something like the following (untested) in the firwall script:

# Flush FORWARD chain and set policy to DROP
iptables -F FORWARD
iptables -P FORWARD DROP

# Forward everything that made it so far from eth0
iptables -A FORWARD -i eth0 -j ACCEPT

# Forward everything that made it so far from eth1, if the source MAC
# address appears in /path/to/maclist
for MAC in `cat /path/to/maclist`; do
iptables -A FORWARD -i eth1 --mac-source $MAC -j ACCEPT
done

We do have Cisco switches which I find too complicated to set up a mac
filter system. There also in the wrong path.

Doing it with a switch makes more sense, really.

Alex

Old September 23rd 04, 06:15 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dr Zoidberg

Jim wrote:
How can I filter Mac addresses ?

anyone know where I can get buy a cheap router or device to filter
[access] mac addresses.

I need to allow a pool of mac addresses [users] through to the
gateway. and block any other mac's.
Im using fixed ip and a DHCP pool on the network.

I know its possible with a Linux machine but I need something more
admin friendly such as a web interface on a router.

I havent found an easy way using a PC and windows, but windows is not
reliable.

We do have Cisco switches which I find too complicated to set up a mac
filter system. There also in the wrong path.

My Belkin wireless router allows MAC address filtering.

--
Alex

"We are now up against live, hostile targets"

"So, if Little Red Riding Hood should show up with a bazooka and a bad
attitude, I expect you to chin the bitch! "

www.drzoidberg.co.uk
www.ebayfaq.co.uk

Old September 23rd 04, 11:56 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
THe NuTTeR

"Dr Zoidberg" wrote in message
Jim wrote:
How can I filter Mac addresses ?

anyone know where I can get buy a cheap router or device to filter
[access] mac addresses.

My Belkin wireless router allows MAC address filtering.

Probably only on the wireless side tho, its a standard thing in
wireless. I could be wrong, but I set one up with MAC security, and
don't remember having to add the wired PC

Old September 24th 04, 08:38 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dr Zoidberg

Jim wrote:
How can I filter Mac addresses ?

anyone know where I can get buy a cheap router or device to filter
[access] mac addresses.

My Belkin wireless router allows MAC address filtering.

Probably only on the wireless side tho, its a standard thing in
wireless. I could be wrong, but I set one up with MAC security, and
don't remember having to add the wired PC

It claims to be for both wired and wireless.
Its on a separate config page to the wireless setup