Filters

Old September 26th 04, 04:44 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
CStep96396

Default Filters

I have been told that when I connect my desktop computer upstairs, to my laptop
computer downstairs, by a wireless connection, that I will have to fit filters
to all my phone connections, as I am using broadband, could someone please tell
me if this is correct.

Thanks in anticipation of a reply.

Colin.
Old September 26th 04, 07:40 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Michael Salem

CStep96396 wrote:

I have been told that when I connect my desktop computer upstairs, to my laptop
computer downstairs, by a wireless connection, that I will have to fit filters
to all my phone connections, as I am using broadband, could someone please tell
me if this is correct.

If you are using ADSL you can't plug any telephony equipment (phone,
modem, fax, etc.) into the phone line without going through a
microfilter (aka splitter). You can have a single splitting filter where
the phone line comes in and run all telephony from it with the ASL
connection off the the same splitter (normally by replacing the master
phone socket and changing the wiring a bit), or leave the wiring
untouched and have a microfilter in every socket with telephony
equipment.

Typical behaviour with a phone plugged into an extension without a
filter: at best ADSL works fine, but you drop the ADSL connection on
picking up the phone, just like using a conventional modem.

HTH,
--
Michael Salem
Old September 26th 04, 08:44 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jon

On 26 Sep 2004 14:44:49 GMT, CStep96396 wrote:
I have been told that when I connect my desktop computer upstairs, to my laptop
computer downstairs, by a wireless connection, that I will have to fit filters
to all my phone connections, as I am using broadband, could someone please tell
me if this is correct.

Thanks in anticipation of a reply.

Colin.

No.
You are connecting with wireless, nothing to do with the phone.
Cheers
Jon

--

Mail sent to the above address doesn't get read.
To send email replace domain with fastmail.co.uk