getting my head around it

Old September 26th 04, 09:44 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Me

Default getting my head around it

Hi, can I please check out if I'm understanding how to get started.

I have a desktop PC and a laptop, and an occasionally visiting extra desktop
(daughter in and out of uni.)

Currently all connect to the net via the same dial-up ISP.

What I picture is setting up an all-in-one wi-fi router/modem/access point.

I think this will plug into the phone line in some central position in the
home via an adaptor.

I think I can then install wi-fi cards into each PC/laptop, and they can
then connect to/share a broadband connection.

Is this right, or does any of this need a wired link?

Old September 26th 04, 09:58 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Frank le Spikkin

"Me" wrote in
:

Hi, can I please check out if I'm understanding how to get
started.

I have a desktop PC and a laptop, and an occasionally visiting
extra desktop (daughter in and out of uni.)

Currently all connect to the net via the same dial-up ISP.

What I picture is setting up an all-in-one wi-fi
router/modem/access point.

I think this will plug into the phone line in some central
position in the home via an adaptor.

I think I can then install wi-fi cards into each PC/laptop, and
they can then connect to/share a broadband connection.

Is this right, or does any of this need a wired link?

You'll need a wired link temporarily when setting up or changing
the configuration of the router. It *can* be done over a wireless
link, but it's a PITA.

Old September 26th 04, 10:39 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
mike

yep that's basically it & as the other guy says, a hardwired pc to the
router is a useful addition sometimes.
just remember that the power up sequence & cloning of the mac address etc
need to be done properly the first time.

it's all in the routers handbnook or on the net at many sites, so it should
be a doddle

mike

"Me" wrote in message
Hi, can I please check out if I'm understanding how to get started.

I have a desktop PC and a laptop, and an occasionally visiting extra

desktop
(daughter in and out of uni.)

Currently all connect to the net via the same dial-up ISP.

What I picture is setting up an all-in-one wi-fi router/modem/access

point.

I think this will plug into the phone line in some central position in the
home via an adaptor.

I think I can then install wi-fi cards into each PC/laptop, and they can
then connect to/share a broadband connection.

Is this right, or does any of this need a wired link?

---

Old September 27th 04, 04:00 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Me

thanks folks