Using router with 3 PC's and an ISDN line

Old September 27th 04, 08:16 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Trevor Appleton

Default Using router with 3 PC's and an ISDN line

I have 3 PC's connected to a router. I can connect to the internet by up to
2 pc's at once, but only by going through the routers various menus to get
the one to connect to the ISDN line.

I am trying to simplify things for my son.

Shouldn't there be a way of getting the router to connect to the internet
whenever any PC tries to access it (i.e. opens IE or OE)?

Router is Draytek Vigor 2600

Old September 27th 04, 11:53 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
logized

"Trevor Appleton" wrote in message
-service-com...
I have 3 PC's connected to a router. I can connect to the internet by up to
2 pc's at once, but only by going through the routers various menus to get
the one to connect to the ISDN line.

I am trying to simplify things for my son.

Shouldn't there be a way of getting the router to connect to the internet
whenever any PC tries to access it (i.e. opens IE or OE)?

Router is Draytek Vigor 2600

I don't have any experience of that router - but they should have an option
to connect on "Packet trigger"
in the config menu - ISDN Backup Setup -- Dial Backup Mode -- Packet
Trigger.

The problem with enabling this is that it could increase your ISDN call
costs - you need to ensure your machines are not sending out broadcast
packets when idle.
Have you considered getting ADSL instead? - your router has a built-in ADSL
modem.

Dave

Old September 28th 04, 08:16 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Trevor Appleton

"logized" wrote in message

"Trevor Appleton" wrote in
message -service-com...
[...]

I have just ( a few minutes ago) posted the following on the broadband
newsgroup, which explains the ADSL situation here. I deliberately bought
this router to be ready for if we did get ADSL.

If we do get it however, I will still need ISDN as well as I broadcast to
local radio from home.

My ISDN ISP package is 80 hours at 128K or 160 hrs at 64K, so presumably it
wouldn't cost any more?

The area I live in (rural East Yorkshire) has 175 addresses on the BT
Exchange. We were told we would not get ADSL with the technology currently
available (from BT).

We have a grant from the local Rural Development Agency and are about to
request tenders.

We have surveyed all addresses (via a questionnaire) and got back firm
commitments to broadband from 27 addresses, which we are told is enough to
go ahead.

The chosen companies to tender a

http://www.langreen.com/

http://www.langtoft.net/

http://www.ehotspot.co.uk/

http://www.neoeon.com/

The Parish Councils involved in getting this going do not seem to have a
great deal of technical expertise, or understand the difference between
Satellite Broadband and Wireless Broadband and ADSL.

I have only a slightly better appreciation, but I am trying to do some
research.

Any advice on:

1. Where to learn about the (possible) different technologies these
companies would employ, would be useful.

2. Any experience/feedback (positive or negative) about other community
systems set up by these companies would be very helpful.

3. Any other advice from rural parishes that have been through this process.

Trevor Appleton
Kirkburn
Driffield
East Yorkshire

Old September 28th 04, 08:20 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Trevor Appleton

I don't have any experience of that router - but they should have an
option to connect on "Packet trigger"
in the config menu - ISDN Backup Setup -- Dial Backup Mode -- Packet
Trigger.

I can find no reference to 'packet trigger's in the manual or menus.

Old September 28th 04, 08:35 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Trevor Appleton

I am trying to set a password on this router. The windows box offers a tick
box to remember the passowrd, but the next time I try and connect, it
doesn't offer the password?

Old September 29th 04, 01:34 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Michael Salem

Trevor Appleton wrote:

I have 3 PC's connected to a router. I can connect to the internet by up to
2 pc's at once, but only by going through the routers various menus to get
the one to connect to the ISDN line.

I am trying to simplify things for my son.

Shouldn't there be a way of getting the router to connect to the internet
whenever any PC tries to access it (i.e. opens IE or OE)?

Router is Draytek Vigor 2600

I don't understand why you can only connect two PCs to the Internet at
once. I have used a router and modem with an ordinary (not ISDN) phone
line, and any number of machines could connect simultaneously over the
same connection. The router dialled silently whenever and machine
required Internet access. If I had plugged in an ISDN TA instead of a
modem it would have done exactly what you want.

The Vigor 2600i (presumably you are using the 2600i, or 2600Gi or
2600VGi, not the bare 2600) is a lot more capable than my equipment of 5
years ago, so should have no trouble.

The way the system should work is that all PCs would be connected to the
router (if you have more than 4 you need an additional hub). The router
connects to the ISDN line. In your case I expect the ISDN TA is built
into the router; in mine it would be external. Whenever any machine
requests an Internet connection, the router automatically dials the
Internet. The nightmare scenario is not failure to connect, but the
router responding to unnecessary Internet access requests and dialling
very frequently (e.g., checking mail every minute), with consequent big
phone bills.

You would normally set the router to be a DHCP server, and the PCs to
get an IP address automatically.

I don't have a Vigor ISDN router, so can't be more specific.

HTH,
--
Michael Salem