IP addresses - wireless

Old September 28th 04, 12:10 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Darren

Default IP addresses - wireless

Hi
Just setup 4 computers connected to a wireless router using 802.11b.
They can all see the router with excellent signal but we're having many IP
address problems. Every so often the IP addresses assigned to each computer
go a bit weird...they're supposed to be 192.168.2.* but they keep assigning
themselves completely different ones. Forcing them to obtain a specific IP
is much better, but still this is happening sometimes. What can I do?

Also, MSN Messenger keeps disconnecting randomly...usually after a period of
about an hour.

--
Darren
Can't get her off, that's kinda rough

Old September 28th 04, 03:58 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Simon Cooper

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 12:10:05 +0100, Darren wrote:

Hi
Just setup 4 computers connected to a wireless router using 802.11b.
They can all see the router with excellent signal but we're having many IP
address problems. Every so often the IP addresses assigned to each computer
go a bit weird...they're supposed to be 192.168.2.* but they keep assigning
themselves completely different ones. Forcing them to obtain a specific IP
is much better, but still this is happening sometimes. What can I do?

Also, MSN Messenger keeps disconnecting randomly...usually after a period of
about an hour.

are they 169.something.something.something? Thats the address winxp
assigns to network cards when it recieves an odd dhcp reply. In hte case
of wireless, its because hte signal wasnt strong enough to send it
properly (afaik). Theres nothing you can really do about it, maybe get a
bigger antenna...