DG834G + MP101 and Firewalls

Old October 1st 04, 11:30 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
b4

Default DG834G + MP101 and Firewalls

Anyone know how to setup firewalls (I have Norton, Windows and DG834G
internal available) to allow we to use MP101 wirelessly and the internet and
have a firewall running to protect my system from the internet etc ?. I can
only get the MP101 to see any music server if firewalls are switched off.

Thanks

Old October 1st 04, 05:23 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
[ste parker]

b4 wrote:
Anyone know how to setup firewalls (I have Norton, Windows and DG834G
internal available) to allow we to use MP101 wirelessly and the

internet and
have a firewall running to protect my system from the internet etc ?.

I can
only get the MP101 to see any music server if firewalls are switched off.

Thanks

Assuming the DG834G is your gateway to the outside, you should only need
the firewall active on there. Unsurprisingly enough, Netgear support
tells you exactly which ports you need open
(http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101284.asp), so set up the
DG834G to allow those - also covered in detail by Netgear support
(http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/N101145.asp).

Hope that helps,

--
[ste]
My Rpoints referral:
Old October 2nd 04, 08:53 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
b4

Thanks for the help, I'll try and find where to enter these UCP/TCP
addresses. I'm new at this game and learning !

Old October 3rd 04, 12:58 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
[ste parker]

b4 wrote:
"[ste parker]" wrote in message

Assuming the DG834G is your gateway to the outside, you should only need
the firewall active on there. Unsurprisingly enough, Netgear support
tells you exactly which ports you need open
(http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101284.asp), so set up the
DG834G to allow those - also covered in detail by Netgear support
(http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/N101145.asp).

Thanks for the help, I'll try and find where to enter these UCP/TCP
addresses. I'm new at this game and learning !

Please try not to top post, it makes things a pain in the arse to
follow. Anyway, as for where to enter the various things, the second of
those links gives a pretty much "go here, enter that then click this"
guide. I've got a DG834G too, and while I've not needed to do any port
forwarding or anything yet, it looked easy enough to do.

Good luck!

Old October 3rd 04, 07:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
b4

"[ste parker]" wrote in message
b4 wrote:
"[ste parker]" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks again for the info. Regarding top posting I personally find it a lot
easier to follow by reading each response using the preview rather than
trawling through the whole thing again and again, but point taken. Cheers.

Old October 3rd 04, 09:52 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
THe NuTTeR

Please try not to top post, it makes things a pain in the arse to
follow.

Thanks again for the info. Regarding top posting I personally find it
a lot
easier to follow by reading each response using the preview rather
than
trawling through the whole thing again and again, but point taken.
Cheers.

I personally agree, but will try to follow the existing convention with
in a thread.
In a complicated thread you haven't read for a long time, bottom/inter
posting is better because it does make more sense, eg when multiple
questions are asked.
Snipping makes usenet faster, top-posters (myself included, when
top-posting) generally don't do it, but it could possibly save millions
a year if everyone did it properly.
There is an RFC out there that reccomends not to top-post, but to either
bottom post or inter-post.

Old October 4th 04, 04:02 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
[ste parker]

b4 wrote:

Thanks again for the info. Regarding top posting I personally find it a lot
easier to follow by reading each response using the preview rather than
trawling through the whole thing again and again, but point taken. Cheers.

If anything irrelevant is snipped, then there's not much to follow and
you're just left with a bit of useful context is all. Not everyone uses
a threaded view like you probably do seeing as you use Outlook, so it
helps others know whats going on too without them having to work their
way back through countless other messages to see whats been said already.

Old October 4th 04, 08:25 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , "[ste parker]"
writes
b4 wrote:
Thanks again for the info. Regarding top posting I personally find
it a lot
easier to follow by reading each response using the preview rather than
trawling through the whole thing again and again, but point taken. Cheers.

If anything irrelevant is snipped, then there's not much to follow and
you're just left with a bit of useful context is all. Not everyone
uses a threaded view like you probably do seeing as you use Outlook, so
it helps others know whats going on too without them having to work
their way back through countless other messages to see whats been said
already.

But if you aren't using a better reader than Outlook you can get one
free :-)
--
What have they got to hide? Release the ESA Beagle 2 report.