network/browser error

Old October 3rd 04, 09:54 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
brushes

Default network/browser error

Set up: 4 xppro machines on peer to peer network fed from adsl router/modem.

I frequently get the following error in the event log;

The browser service was unable to retrieve a list of servers from the
browser master %1 on the network %2.Browser master: %1Network: %2
This event may be caused by a temporary loss of network connectivity. If
this message appears again, verify that the server is still connected to the
network. The return code is in the Data text box.

It appears to me that this error relates to a domain based network, any idea
why I get this and how to resolve it?

Thanks

Old October 3rd 04, 10:37 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , brushes says...
Set up: 4 xppro machines on peer to peer network fed from adsl router/modem.

I frequently get the following error in the event log;

The browser service was unable to retrieve a list of servers from the
browser master %1 on the network %2.Browser master: %1Network: %2
This event may be caused by a temporary loss of network connectivity. If
this message appears again, verify that the server is still connected to the
network. The return code is in the Data text box.

It appears to me that this error relates to a domain based network, any idea
why I get this and how to resolve it?

You need at least one of the machines to be running the Computer
Browser service.

--
Conor

Opinions personal, facts suspect.
Old October 3rd 04, 11:38 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
brushes

"Conor" wrote in message
. ..
In article , brushes says...
[...]

ok, in that case how do i set an alternative machine as it seems to point to
one that is hardly ever used as the browser master?

Old October 7th 04, 01:01 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dave Dixon

ok, in that case how do i set an alternative machine as it seems to point
one that is hardly ever used as the browser master?

(assuming all PCs are running XP Pro)

1 - Close down all PCs
2 - Start the PC that you would like to be the master browser
3 - When Windows is running, start the other PCs

(The browser master is nothing to do with internet explorer btw)

hth

Dave

---

Old October 7th 04, 02:21 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
brushes

"Dave Dixon" wrote in message

ok, in that case how do i set an alternative machine as it seems to

point
one that is hardly ever used as the browser master?

(assuming all PCs are running XP Pro)

1 - Close down all PCs
2 - Start the PC that you would like to be the master browser
3 - When Windows is running, start the other PCs

(The browser master is nothing to do with internet explorer btw)

hth

Dave

Ok, many thanks. I'd gathered it couldn't be connected to IE as, on each
machine, I have virtually crippled the thing beyond any normal function and
use FF. So, in essence, the first machine on gets to be master then? Will
assume yes and feel better informed, thanks