Belkin wi-fi router confusion

Old October 3rd 04, 11:18 AM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking

Default Belkin wi-fi router confusion

I have just taken possession of a Belkin DSL/Cable Wireless Router.
My ISP (Nildram) supplies me with both a static IP address AND a
username/password login but I cannot figure how to enter both of these
into the Belkin config.
The options for connection type a

1) Static
Which asks me for my static IP address and my ISP Gateway Address.
Nildram have never supplied me with a Gateway Address and I'm not
using on on my current wired router. This option also doesn't allow me
to specify my login username and password

2) PPPoE
This *does* offer me connection by username and password but does not
give me any option to enter my static IP address.

Neither of the above set ups give me an internet connection.

Can anyone please advice what I need to do?

Thanks.
Old October 3rd 04, 06:30 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking
Michael Salem

I have just taken possession of a Belkin DSL/Cable Wireless Router.
My ISP (Nildram) supplies me with both a static IP address AND a
username/password login but I cannot figure how to enter both of these
into the Belkin config.

Enter the name and password. Nildram will be PPPoA (not PPPoE). If the
router additionally lets you enter your fixed IP address, you can do
this, but it is not necessary. I don't know the Belkin router in
particular, so can't help step-by-step.

You probably don't need the fixed IP address, in which case you can save
by using an ADSL account with variable IP address.

The static setup will be for a cable, not ADSL, connection.

HTH,
--
Michael Salem
Old October 4th 04, 12:46 AM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking
Secret S

wrote in message
I have just taken possession of a Belkin DSL/Cable Wireless Router.
My ISP (Nildram) supplies me with both a static IP address AND a
username/password login but I cannot figure how to enter both of these
into the Belkin config.
The options for connection type a

1) Static
Which asks me for my static IP address and my ISP Gateway Address.
Nildram have never supplied me with a Gateway Address and I'm not
using on on my current wired router. This option also doesn't allow me
to specify my login username and password

2) PPPoE
This *does* offer me connection by username and password but does not
give me any option to enter my static IP address.

Neither of the above set ups give me an internet connection.

Can anyone please advice what I need to do?

Thanks.

Use the wizard and try to use PPPoA. All I had to enter was my username and
password and the ip field is blank. I don't think you need to enter the IP
address to get it working, but if you do you will be prompted for it.

I have a slightly different problem (or is it a feature - I'm not sure).

If I have not used the connection for some time ( like a few hours) then i
have to enter the router config screen, log on to the router control menu,
and then select connect for the internet connection. It's like the router
takes itself offline for security. The help files are not that helpful. Says
that the timeout feature can be altered, but then doesn't tell you where
that option is located.

I have clicked on each and every heading, but cannot find where to stop it
diconnecting after a short time of inactivity.
**SS**