Gigabit ethernet - wiring etc.

Old October 8th 04, 02:39 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Default Gigabit ethernet - wiring etc.

It looks like I'll need a new ethernet switch soon and prices have
dropped so much that it would seem to make sense to buy a Gigabit one.
The Netgear 5 port GS605 is 42 and the 8 port GS608 is 72 (oh, and
NICs cost from only 12 or so).

Having said that will my existing (mostly) cat5e wiring work in
general and give me full Gigabit speed? There aren't any long runs, a
maximum of 5 metres I would guess and most are less than that.

Is there anything else to catch me out if I go for 1000Mb/s?

--
Chris Green
Old October 10th 04, 10:35 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Chris Lawson

Odie Ferrous wrote:
You need Cat7 cables.

Anyone telling you that you can achieve GB speeds on Cat5 or 5e or 6 has
never tried it themselves.

Even then, you are going to be really pressed to get above 800Mb/sec.

It looks like Odie is in cable sales. Even Cisco don't think cat 6 or 7
is necessary for gigabit!

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk38...080091a86.html
# 1000BASE-T specifies Gigabit Ethernet operation over the Category 5
# cabling systems installed according to the specifications of
# ANSI/TIA/EIA-568A (1995). 1000BASE-T also supports 1000 Mbps operation
# over the newest emerging EIA/TIA cabling specifications Category 5e.

And here's some guys that have done some benchmarking.
http://www.cs.uni.edu/~gray/gig-over-copper

--
Chris
Old October 11th 04, 03:16 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Odie Ferrous

Chris Lawson wrote:

Odie Ferrous wrote:
You need Cat7 cables.

Anyone telling you that you can achieve GB speeds on Cat5 or 5e or 6 has
never tried it themselves.

Even then, you are going to be really pressed to get above 800Mb/sec.

It looks like Odie is in cable sales. Even Cisco don't think cat 6 or 7
is necessary for gigabit!

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk38...080091a86.html
# 1000BASE-T specifies Gigabit Ethernet operation over the Category 5
# cabling systems installed according to the specifications of
# ANSI/TIA/EIA-568A (1995). 1000BASE-T also supports 1000 Mbps operation
# over the newest emerging EIA/TIA cabling specifications Category 5e.

And here's some guys that have done some benchmarking.
http://www.cs.uni.edu/~gray/gig-over-copper

--
Chris

Chris,

You CLEARLY did not read the article.

"Supports" Gigabit and "runs at Gigabit speeds" are two entirely
different concepts.

As I said previously on occasion, Cat5e DOES work on Gigabit - but you
will only get 100Mbit speeds. If you peruse the Cicso link you posted,
you will see a table near the bottom of the page that CLEARLY shows
this.

Also bear in mind that the article is fairly old - but I think you need
to admit that my argument is correct, and that yours is not.

Next time, read the salient points. And posting a link that contradicts
your own argument is a step in the wrong direction.

I rest my case.

Odie
--

RetroData
Data Recovery Experts
Old October 11th 04, 03:17 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Odie Ferrous

Odie Ferrous wrote:

Chris Lawson wrote:

And here's some guys that have done some benchmarking.
http://www.cs.uni.edu/~gray/gig-over-copper

....and the other thing - these "guys" don't even mention the type of
cable they are using.

I can tell you for a fact it is not your average Cat5 stuff.

Odie
--

RetroData
Data Recovery Experts
Old October 11th 04, 08:36 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Odie Ferrous

Chris Lawson wrote:

newest emerging EIA/TIA cabling specifications Category 5e

....is misleading in the extreme!!!

Hope to post the response of someone from IEEE later today.

Odie
--

RetroData
Data Recovery Experts
Old October 11th 04, 08:42 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Odie Ferrous

Default Ooops - temporary retraction...

Odie Ferrous wrote:

.....something that may be fairly earth shattering....

Chris, I take back everything I said. For time time being.

It appears someone else (reputable) is telling me thay have a Gigabit
LAN in place with Cat5e.

I am hopefully going to see more of this later today.

Of course, he could be talking out of his nether regions, but I know him
to be reliable.

It should be very, very interesting and good for business as a cable
salesman.....

Odie