Connection problem

Old December 10th 04, 01:43 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Joe

Default Connection problem

Hi!

I have new nootebook Acer 1522Lmi with Realtek 8169 ethernet card
(10/100/1000Mbit) and old ADSL router 3com Office connect 812 Adsl (it has
10Mbit hub). I can't get them to communicate although both works with other
hardware (my card works with different router and my router with different
ethernet card). Windows XP says that Local area network is connected, but I
cannot even ping my router, I don't recieve any packets. Can you help me
resolve the problem? Is it some sort of incompatibility? What can I try to
do?

Thank you

Joe

Old December 10th 04, 10:45 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ernest Bilko

Joe wrote:
Hi!

I have new nootebook Acer 1522Lmi with Realtek 8169 ethernet card
(10/100/1000Mbit) and old ADSL router 3com Office connect 812 Adsl (it has
10Mbit hub). I can't get them to communicate although both works with other
hardware (my card works with different router and my router with different
ethernet card). Windows XP says that Local area network is connected, but I
cannot even ping my router, I don't recieve any packets. Can you help me
resolve the problem? Is it some sort of incompatibility? What can I try to
do?

Thank you

Joe

Strangely I am having exactly the same problem a ACER laptop running xp
Pro connectin g to a Dynamode router ---- it won't pick up IP and
dns settings from the routers DHCP service, using angry IP Scanner it
shows it not having and IP address other than localhost then after a
few minutes it aquires an address in the 169.-.-.- series which dosen't
come from the router I suspect it comes from Windows Xp ICS DHCP. Many
attempts to make sure iCS is well and truly disdabled and cleaned out
and system restore is firmly tured off but it keeps getting this ip.
The Acer works fine with a Mentor Alcatel chip router. The router works
fine other pcs. The network card is a god old RL8139 so that is
unlikely to be the problem --- I am sure it is Win Xp or Sp2 related.
Old December 10th 04, 12:40 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ernest Bilko

Default Connection problem----- mystery gets deeper

Ernest Bilko wrote:
Joe wrote:

Hi!

I have new nootebook Acer 1522Lmi with Realtek 8169 ethernet card
(10/100/1000Mbit) and old ADSL router 3com Office connect 812 Adsl (it
has
10Mbit hub). I can't get them to communicate although both works with
other
hardware (my card works with different router and my router with
different

snip snip

Thank you

Joe

Strangely I am having exactly the same problem a ACER laptop running xp
Pro connectin g to a Dynamode router ---- it won't pick up IP and
dns settings from the routers DHCP service, using angry IP Scanner it
shows it not having and IP address other than localhost then after a
few minutes it aquires an address in the 169.-.-.- series which dosen't
come from the router I suspect it comes from Windows Xp ICS DHCP. Many
attempts to make sure iCS is well and truly disdabled and cleaned out
and system restore is firmly tured off but it keeps getting this ip.
The Acer works fine with a Mentor Alcatel chip router. The router works
fine other pcs. The network card is a god old RL8139 so that is
unlikely to be the problem --- I am sure it is Win Xp or Sp2 related.

I should have added pings router ok with static IP

New development a Windows Me computer brought in for virsus scan -- put
an old RL 8129 card to get get it on the network and it shows exactly
same symptoms when connecting to the Mentor router but when I swapped
the NIC for for a Compaq dual it connected via DHCP perfectly.

The laptop and the pc had one thing in common both had been infested
with malware.