Setting up wireless router/adsl modem

Old December 10th 04, 12:23 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

Default Setting up wireless router/adsl modem

In article Fr Jack says...
Hi,

I'm a total beginner to networks, but I need to take the plunge.

My main question is this:

If I have a wireless router/modem and a wireless card fitted to my PC,
do I need to make any physical connection to do the *initial* setup of
the router/modem?

Usually. The best ones have wifi disabled by default.

I'm also looking at bundle deals. Is a usb adaptor any worse than a
pci card in practical terms.

Not for short range. I have a DLink DSL604+ wireless ADSL Modem router
and my sis-in-law can get LAN/internet access on that from across the
street.

Any preferred brands? I've heard glowing reports for Netgear(?).
Where is the cheapest/best place to buy. Recommendations welcome.

Do a search on Kelkoo and Pricerunner for the cheapest places.
Netgear/Dlink and Linksys brands are all OK.

--
Conor

A man alone in the forest is talking to himself and no women around to
hear him. Is he still wrong?