Setting up wireless router/adsl modem

Old December 10th 04, 03:56 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Bill Middleton

Default Setting up wireless router/adsl modem

jack, in regard to intial setup you should do this via a cable as any
interferece in the data transfer can cause problems.

Bill M
"Fr Jack" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm a total beginner to networks, but I need to take the plunge.

My main question is this:

If I have a wireless router/modem and a wireless card fitted to my PC,
do I need to make any physical connection to do the *initial* setup of
the router/modem?

My idea is to put the router in my living room and leave the PC in my
office, removing the need for cables running through the house (don't
ask).

I'm also looking at bundle deals. Is a usb adaptor any worse than a
pci card in practical terms.

Any preferred brands? I've heard glowing reports for Netgear(?).
Where is the cheapest/best place to buy. Recommendations welcome.

Sorry if this has been asked before, please be nice. ;-)

Thanks in advance.
--

Cheers!
Fr Jack