What's going on here?

Old December 12th 04, 10:42 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
bigbrian

Default What's going on here?

Wireless network using a Belkin wireless ADSL router. There are a few
computers connected to it, with no real problems, everything,
including the internet connection, works OK

Trying to add a new laptop to it is driving me mad. Everything seems
to be OK:

I've added the MAC address to the MAC filtering in the security
settings on the router
I've enabled the WEP protocol on the laptop
I can ping the router, and other PCs on the network, from the laptop

but the web browser on the laptop refuses to access the internet.
Connection settings in IE seem to be OK, and, very occasionally, it
does actually work. Then I turn it off, reboot, check it again and its
fine. Then, without doing anything to the settings, next time I turn
it on (maybe some hours or a day or two later), it won't find the
internet again, although the network still seems to be operating
normally

If it matters, its a Dell, with a built in wireless network adaptor

Any ideas?

Brian
Old December 14th 04, 02:56 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Christo

"bigbrian" wrote in message

[...]

what ISP

AOL are ******s for not letting people do that

Old December 14th 04, 06:13 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
bigbrian

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 14:56:49 -0000, "Christo"
wrote:

"bigbrian" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

No, wouldn't touch AOL with an extreeeeeeeeeemely long pole

Its Vispa. I don't believe they're the problem. As I say, there are
already other computers connected successfully, and the problem occurs
whether or not those computers are actually connected at the time

Brian

Old December 15th 04, 06:09 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
James Mawson

"bigbrian" wrote in message

[...]

Check that the laptop is getting a DHCP address from the router, if it is
set for DHCP. Then check that the gateway address for the laptop is the
router.

It sounds a bit like your DHCP lease is expiring, and XP allocates its own
ip adress for the "new" wireless card, each time the PC is turned on.

Hope this helps.

James Mawson
www.directsos.co.uk