Lan prob.

Old December 14th 04, 01:06 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
steve

Default Lan prob.

ok, i bought a crossover cable today, plugged it into my laptop, and my
desktop, (the desktop is already connected to the internet). i then enabled
internet sharing fom my desktop, but i still cant get internet on my laptop,
any ideas?

thanx

steve

Old December 14th 04, 01:40 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ernest Bilko

steve wrote:
ok, i bought a crossover cable today, plugged it into my laptop, and my
desktop, (the desktop is already connected to the internet). i then enabled
internet sharing fom my desktop, but i still cant get internet on my laptop,
any ideas?

thanx

steve

Run a simple internet sharing proxy server on the desktp PC and point
the Internet Explorer :-( or other browser :-) on the Laptop lan
settings "use proxy" to the local IP address of of the desktop .
Simplest proxy server to set up is tha AnalogX one --- best of all it
is truly free software
Old December 14th 04, 01:57 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Me

steve wrote:
ok, i bought a crossover cable today, plugged it into my laptop, and my
desktop, (the desktop is already connected to the internet). i then enabled
internet sharing fom my desktop, but i still cant get internet on my laptop,
any ideas?

thanx

steve

has your laptop got an IP address in the right range on the interface
with the crossover cable in it? 192.168.0.x, .1 being reserved for the
ICS "server", IIRC
Old December 14th 04, 02:03 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
steve

ok, i have managed to configure them so that they can see eachother - but i
get the old "comp 2 is not accessable, you may not have permissionsetc..".
they ping with eachother well, and desktop is set at 192.168.0.1, and the
laptop is at 192.160.0.2
still no internet connection on laptop.

steve

Old December 14th 04, 02:08 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
steve

firewalls are permissioned too, so its not that which is causing the
problems..

Old December 14th 04, 05:33 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
awm

steve wrote:

ok, i have managed to configure them so that they can see eachother - but
i get the old "comp 2 is not accessable, you may not have
permissionsetc..". they ping with eachother well, and desktop is set at
192.168.0.1, and the laptop is at 192.160.0.2
still no internet connection on laptop.

steve

Trouble ICS in some networks installion goes perfectly but when it goes
wrong particularly if SP2 is installed it is a pig to get working
personally I wouldn't barge it with a touch pole ---

If you have got to the stage you can ping the other PC and see eachother in
microsoft networking it will take about 2 minutes to install and setup a
proper web proxy ----- AnalogX Proxy, FreeProxy and Proxomitron will all
do the job. AnalogX is tiny and very easy to se, Freeproxy works just fine
and Proxomitron is also a web filter but takes a few more clicks of the
mouse to setup as a remote proxy than analogX.

see
http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/network/fwproxy.html
http://www.proxomitron.info/

Old December 14th 04, 05:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
lurch

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 16:33:19 +0000, awm
strung together this:

Trouble ICS in some networks installion goes perfectly but when it goes
wrong particularly if SP2 is installed it is a pig to get working
personally I wouldn't barge it with a touch pole ---

If you have got to the stage you can ping the other PC and see eachother in
microsoft networking it will take about 2 minutes to install and setup a
proper web proxy

I'd agree with that, just tried setting up a mates cable broadband
with ICS and gave up, then downloaded a third party proxy (can't
remeber which) and had it all working in 5 minutes.
--

SJW