kids on the internet

Old December 14th 04, 05:23 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
SJ

Default kids on the internet

Thanks for the help in setting up the network, its a NTL connection
via a router. another question as my daughter will be having a pc
connected to the net in her bedroom, what is the best way to keep a
eye on her, i am running xp pro she is running 2000 and the laptop is
2000, is there any software that can do this for example so i can have
her screen on my pc, without her knowing this.

steve
Old December 14th 04, 06:18 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
bigbrian

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 17:23:04 GMT, SJ wrote:

Thanks for the help in setting up the network, its a NTL connection
via a router. another question as my daughter will be having a pc
connected to the net in her bedroom, what is the best way to keep a
eye on her, i am running xp pro she is running 2000 and the laptop is
2000, is there any software that can do this for example so i can have
her screen on my pc, without her knowing this.

One option is to install something like Norton Internet Security,
which has a "productivity settings" feature that allows you to set
parameters as to what applications, what kind of sites, etc users can
can access. It uses the Windows users setup to enable this.

A friend of mine uses a wireless gizmo to send the output from his
daughter's PC to his TV, so that he can switch channels anytime he
likes and what's on their monitor appears on the TV screen. I think
its the same time of autosender thing that you can use to send Sky
from the Sky box to another TV somewhere else in the house, but I'm
not 100% sure

Brian
Old December 14th 04, 07:07 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dr Zoidberg

SJ wrote:
Thanks for the help in setting up the network, its a NTL connection
via a router. another question as my daughter will be having a pc
connected to the net in her bedroom, what is the best way to keep a
eye on her, i am running xp pro she is running 2000 and the laptop is
2000, is there any software that can do this for example so i can have
her screen on my pc, without her knowing this.

VNC or PC Anywhere will allow you to do this

--
Alex

Join dozens of newsgroup users in making a group charity purchase from
www.oxfamunwrapped.com Full details at www.drzoidberg.co.uk -over 1500
raised so far

Old December 14th 04, 10:06 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Bernard Peek

In message , Dr Zoidberg
writes
SJ wrote:
Thanks for the help in setting up the network, its a NTL connection
via a router. another question as my daughter will be having a pc
connected to the net in her bedroom, what is the best way to keep a
eye on her, i am running xp pro she is running 2000 and the laptop is
2000, is there any software that can do this for example so i can have
her screen on my pc, without her knowing this.

VNC or PC Anywhere will allow you to do this

VNC usually shows that someone is connected.

--
Bernard Peek

Old December 15th 04, 12:45 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Graham

Thanks for the help in setting up the network, its a NTL connection
via a router. another question as my daughter will be having a pc
connected to the net in her bedroom, what is the best way to keep a
eye on her, i am running xp pro she is running 2000 and the laptop is
2000, is there any software that can do this for example so i can have
her screen on my pc, without her knowing this.

steve

I am doing that very thing as I am typing this.
I use Remote Administrator (aka Radmin) from
http://www.famatech.com/

I have my Sons computer in the top left of my screen and a computer in my
workplace on the right.
There is a taskbar icon on the 'victims' computer but there is an option to
hide it.

Like the other applications already mentioned, not only can you view the
screens remotely you can also elect to take control of the remote machines
mouse and keyboard.
If you have a Broadband connection you can work on a machine on the other
side of the world as if you are sitting in front it.

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old December 15th 04, 07:25 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Andrew Sayers

"Graham" wrote:

Thanks for the help in setting up the network, its a NTL connection
via a router. another question as my daughter will be having a pc
connected to the net in her bedroom, what is the best way to keep a
eye on her, i am running xp pro she is running 2000 and the laptop is
2000, is there any software that can do this for example so i can have
her screen on my pc, without her knowing this.

steve

I am doing that very thing as I am typing this.
I use Remote Administrator (aka Radmin) from
http://www.famatech.com/

Thanks for the tip.

I've just d/l'd it - It looks to be a perfect for me as well. My situation is school
based - as well as having to teach, I need to look after the school network, which
often involves running from my class to do a "show me how" for another teacher or the
Head. I reckon this would save me some legwork!

I'll set it up tomorrow for a trial.

--
The reply to email address is a valid address of a
proven spammer, quoted with the sole intention of
Old December 15th 04, 07:38 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
lurch

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 19:25:59 +0000, Andrew Sayers
strung together this:

I'll set it up tomorrow for a trial.

It is a good piece of software, much better than VNC, it actually
works in near-real time. Alas, it costs though.
I'm using now but I don't know what I'll do when the trial runs out. I
use it on quite a few sites but only for one or two machines at a time
but I can't get my head around the licensing scheme.
--

SJW
Old December 15th 04, 08:36 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Andrew Sayers

Lurch wrote:

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 19:25:59 +0000, Andrew Sayers
strung together this:

I'll set it up tomorrow for a trial.

It is a good piece of software, much better than VNC, it actually
works in near-real time. Alas, it costs though.
I'm using now but I don't know what I'll do when the trial runs out. I
use it on quite a few sites but only for one or two machines at a time
but I can't get my head around the licensing scheme.

Yeah it does seem a bit odd. I'm thinking at the moment just setting it up on each
teacher's machine and the Head's, but it would be a great way of demonstrating to the
children how to do various tasks. We've got 6 machines in each classroom, so the
teacher could (if my theory works!), do a teaching demo, let the children get on with
the task and intervene where needed.

Trouble is as you say the cost. $35 a licence isn't too bad at current exchange
rates, but it mounts up when you're looking at 40 odd machines.

Old December 16th 04, 09:05 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ernest Bilko

SJ wrote:
Thanks for the help in setting up the network, its a NTL connection
via a router. another question as my daughter will be having a pc
connected to the net in her bedroom, what is the best way to keep a
eye on her, i am running xp pro she is running 2000 and the laptop is
2000, is there any software that can do this for example so i can have
her screen on my pc, without her knowing this.

steve

It might be an idea to also use a filtering local proxy to take the
garbage out before get gets to her browser. Proxomitron can do this .