Ethernet/USB

Old December 14th 04, 05:38 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Del

Default Ethernet/USB

Newbie question.

I am connected to cable via USB[ No ethernet]
Question is...to network and connect to router/laptop[ with PC card], and
modem etc..........is the connection I need a USB network adapter for the
link between PC & Router, or do I need ethernet installed?

Old December 14th 04, 06:47 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

"Del" wrote in message
I am connected to cable via USB[ No ethernet]
Question is...to network and connect to router/laptop[ with PC card],
and modem etc..........is the connection I need a USB network adapter for
the link between PC & Router, or do I need ethernet installed?

There may be one or two routers with a USB port to connect to a PC but most
cable routers only have Ethernet ports, so you need an Ethernet adapter -
either a PCI card (preferred) or a USB adapter.

Alex

Old December 14th 04, 07:50 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Paul

"Del" wrote in message
Newbie question.

I am connected to cable via USB[ No ethernet]
Question is...to network and connect to router/laptop[ with PC card], and
modem etc..........is the connection I need a USB network adapter for the
link between PC & Router, or do I need ethernet installed?

Ditch the USB entirely.

Just have an Ethernet card in Each machine. Are you using a standalone
router or are you setting one PC up to act as a Router/Proxy?

Old December 15th 04, 03:30 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Del

"Paul" wrote in message
.uk...

"Del" wrote in message
Newbie question.

I am connected to cable via USB[ No ethernet]
Question is...to network and connect to router/laptop[ with PC card],
and
modem etc..........is the connection I need a USB network adapter for the
link between PC & Router, or do I need ethernet installed?

Ditch the USB entirely.

Just have an Ethernet card in Each machine. Are you using a standalone
router or are you setting one PC up to act as a Router/Proxy?

Linksys router, with PC card in laptop, and USB wireless adapter on the
desktop.
Not started to put it together yet..........dreading it!