help with home networking

Old December 14th 04, 08:09 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Adam

Default help with home networking

hi,
I have a desktop pc running xp sp2 and a laptop with the same. I have a
network set up with a lynksys wirless b router. The internet goes into the
router so the internet can be accessed when the desktop is not turned on.
The laptop is wireless and the desktop is wired. Every now and then the
conection will just stop and nothing will network, no access to the desktop
or laptop or internet. To get the conection back, I have to take the power
out and put it back in on the router. Could any one help?
Thanks in advance
Adam

Old December 14th 04, 09:11 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Euan Kerr

"Adam" wrote in
.uk:

hi,
I have a desktop pc running xp sp2 and a laptop with the
same. I have a
network set up with a lynksys wirless b router. The internet
goes into the router so the internet can be accessed when the
desktop is not turned on. The laptop is wireless and the desktop
is wired. Every now and then the conection will just stop and
nothing will network, no access to the desktop or laptop or
internet. To get the conection back, I have to take the power
out and put it back in on the router. Could any one help?
Thanks in advance
Adam

How often does it happen? I have a Linksys router (non-wireless)
that performs perfectly for several weeks at a time, then locks up
like yours and the fix is the same. The router is a fairly complex
computer system running software written by yuming-beans, i.e. it
has bugs. So I put it down to experience and live with the minor
inconvenience.

Old December 14th 04, 10:56 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Adam

My connection drops itself every couple of hours or so. Its not a hard tasjk
to do but very anoying. especilly when im out and my 2 younger sisters get
thrown with the problem

After playing around tonight I have found that it seems to only happen when
the laptop connects to the network. Once reset it connects happily for
another 3/4 hours.

Old December 14th 04, 11:24 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Andrew Sayers

"Adam" wrote:

hi,
I have a desktop pc running xp sp2 and a laptop with the same. I have a
network set up with a lynksys wirless b router. The internet goes into the
router so the internet can be accessed when the desktop is not turned on.
The laptop is wireless and the desktop is wired. Every now and then the
conection will just stop and nothing will network, no access to the desktop
or laptop or internet. To get the conection back, I have to take the power
out and put it back in on the router. Could any one help?
Thanks in advance

My setup is similar, except that I have 2 desktops and one laptop. All machines are
running XP2, and the laptop is wireless, desktops are wired. The other difference is
that my router is Wireless g.

Apart from this the setup is similar. I also get the occasional lockup. It can be
after no net access has happened for ages, or on the odd incidence while surfing and
accessing a site. This can occur twice in a session or once over a two week period.
Logging into the router after it has hung, which will cause it to re-negotiate an
ADSL link, or rebooting the router always solves the problem.

I've put it down to either line conditions or a 'bot attack on the router. I don't
know enough to be sure about either - presumably others will be able to add more.

I've d/l the latest firmware for the router but I've yet to flash it - it is possble
that this may resolve the issue, but I've also read postings that the latest firmware
can cause problems too (with lost packets).

I hope this helps

--
The reply to email address is a valid address of a
proven spammer, quoted with the sole intention of
Old December 15th 04, 12:14 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 20:09:35 GMT, "Adam" wrote:

hi,
I have a desktop pc running xp sp2 and a laptop with the same. I have a
network set up with a lynksys wirless b router. The internet goes into the
router so the internet can be accessed when the desktop is not turned on.
The laptop is wireless and the desktop is wired. Every now and then the
conection will just stop and nothing will network, no access to the desktop
or laptop or internet. To get the conection back, I have to take the power
out and put it back in on the router. Could any one help?

Have your two computers got fixed IP addresses or do they get an
address via the router?

Geoff Lane

Old December 15th 04, 03:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
behemot

Adam wrote:
hi,
I have a desktop pc running xp sp2 and a laptop with the same. I have a
network set up with a lynksys wirless b router. The internet goes into the
router so the internet can be accessed when the desktop is not turned on.
The laptop is wireless and the desktop is wired. Every now and then the
conection will just stop and nothing will network, no access to the desktop
or laptop or internet. To get the conection back, I have to take the power
out and put it back in on the router. Could any one help?
Thanks in advance
Adam

Could it have anything to do with ip lease time?
Old December 15th 04, 04:22 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Adam

my ip adresses are fixed i think. They never change. I dnt know if it has
something to do with the service pack 2 as i cant remember this happening
before i installed it