usb cable connection

Old December 15th 04, 12:20 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
tougharms

Default usb cable connection

warning - total newbie!
I recently purchased an "Optronix USB network cable" which as a total
novice to networks seemed to promise what I required ie install from disc,
plug in one usb port, plug in other usb port and bingo! 2 pcs talking to
each other.

obviously this was not the result and as a total newbie I don't even know
where to start looking for problems!

i have run network setup wizard with no luck

can anyone help?

PC 1 is AMD Athlon 2000+ desktop with winXP home SP1 with Norton internet
security (AV and firewall)
PC 2 is panasonic toughbook CF 27 P1 266 with Win98SE
Old December 15th 04, 01:37 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
mikeFNB

well firstly the firewall will need telling to allow the network & sometimes
win98se just don't like usb at all.
there are several sites that can help you.
just use your search engine and search for 'networking using usb cable' or
WHY

mike

"tougharms" wrote in message
.38...
warning - total newbie!
I recently purchased an "Optronix USB network cable" which as a total
novice to networks seemed to promise what I required ie install from disc,
plug in one usb port, plug in other usb port and bingo! 2 pcs talking to
each other.

obviously this was not the result and as a total newbie I don't even know
where to start looking for problems!

i have run network setup wizard with no luck

can anyone help?

PC 1 is AMD Athlon 2000+ desktop with winXP home SP1 with Norton internet
security (AV and firewall)
PC 2 is panasonic toughbook CF 27 P1 266 with Win98SE

---

Old December 15th 04, 08:41 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John Burke

tougharms wrote ...

I recently purchased an "Optronix USB network cable" which as a total
novice to networks seemed to promise what I required ie install from disc,
plug in one usb port, plug in other usb port and bingo! 2 pcs talking to
each other.

obviously this was not the result and as a total newbie I don't even know
where to start looking for problems!

i have run network setup wizard with no luck

can anyone help?

I haven't got it completely right yet, but I've made some progress trying to
do the same.

If you google for the subject "USB laptop to desktop" you can read the
thread that helped me along, especially the posts from Guy Harrison. Other
than that, you won't find much else on google.

In the meantime, if you can first confirm that your cable is licensed from
"Prolific Technologies Inc", I'll post back and tell you the next step.

JB

Old December 15th 04, 11:53 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
tougharms

Geoff Lane wrote in
:

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 00:20:57 GMT, tougharms
wrote:

warning - total newbie!
I recently purchased an "Optronix USB network cable" which as a total
novice to networks seemed to promise what I required ie install from
disc, plug in one usb port, plug in other usb port and bingo! 2 pcs
talking to each other.

obviously this was not the result and as a total newbie I don't even
know where to start looking for problems!

i have run network setup wizard with no luck

can anyone help?

PC 1 is AMD Athlon 2000+ desktop with winXP home SP1 with Norton
internet security (AV and firewall)
PC 2 is panasonic toughbook CF 27 P1 266 with Win98SE

As mentioned by Mike the firewall needs setting so that both talk to
each other though, with USB rather than ethernet, I'm not sure how the
IP addresses are assigned.

Another easy way to check, on your XP machine go to Start, Search,
Computers or People, a Computer on the Network and then in Computer
Name put the name of your computer as shown in Start, Control Panel,
System, Computer Name.

If it finds your other computer you can click on it like 'My Computer'
or Explorer.

You can do the same on your 98 machine but I've forgotten the 'search'
procedure.

Don't forget that folders on each machine have to be marked as
'share'. Right click on folder then click 'sharing and security'.

Geoff Lane

Way-Hay! success
had to manually specify IP address on the notebook and run trusted site
wizard in Norton firewall (which recognised the ip address) then did the
computer search on both PCs and bingo! both machines talking to each
other.

Next task is to sort out permissions etc to allow me full access

Dead chuffed!
Old December 16th 04, 10:41 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 23:53:30 GMT, tougharms
wrote:

If it finds your other computer you can click on it like 'My Computer'
or Explorer.

Way-Hay! success
had to manually specify IP address on the notebook and run trusted site
wizard in Norton firewall (which recognised the ip address) then did the
computer search on both PCs and bingo! both machines talking to each
other.

Next task is to sort out permissions etc to allow me full access

It's all good fun learning so keep at it.

Geoff Lane

Old December 16th 04, 11:52 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
tougharms

"John Burke" wrote in
:

tougharms wrote ...

[...]

Sorry, not prolific, cable is from Optronix
I have now figured out how to get full control of the laptop and have
also intalled VNC for (free) full remote access.

Now I need to figure hoe to share my desktop internet access with the
laptop and to see if possible to overcome "Not enough memory is
available" error when trying to browse desktop from laptop