Add an access point or buy a combined modem/router/access point?

Old December 16th 04, 12:36 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Martin

Default Add an access point or buy a combined modem/router/access point?

All,

I've currently got a Netgear DG811 ADSL modem/router. It has one desktop
PC connected to it (via ethernet) and I occasionally hook up my work
laptop, also via ethernet. I've now got a new laptop with 802.11g
wireless networking capability so I'm thinking about adding wireless
capability to my network.

The question is, should I just add a Wireless Access Point to my
existing setup, or should I buy a whole new combined modem/router/WAP? I
suppose the latter route saves me a power socket and the price
differential seems like only about 20 quid, but are there are drawbacks
in this scenario? I don't like the idea of wasting my investment in the
existing router, but for the extra cash would I be better off with a
more modern bit of kit?

Cheers,

Martin
Old December 16th 04, 01:03 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
lurch

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 12:36:54 -0000, Martin strung
together this:

The question is, should I just add a Wireless Access Point to my
existing setup, or should I buy a whole new combined modem/router/WAP? I
suppose the latter route saves me a power socket and the price
differential seems like only about 20 quid, but are there are drawbacks
in this scenario? I don't like the idea of wasting my investment in the
existing router, but for the extra cash would I be better off with a
more modern bit of kit?

I'd add an access point. I prefer to have my network in seperate
parts, this means that I have anly got to replace either a modem,
firewall or access point in the event of a failure. It does cost a
little more to start with but I find it better to build up a decent
network from seperate parts than save a few quid and buy an all in one
solution when I've already got most of the functions setup and working
in existing kit.
--

SJW
Old December 16th 04, 02:20 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 12:36:54 -0000, Martin strung
together this:

I'd add an access point. I prefer to have my network in seperate
parts, this means that I have anly got to replace either a modem,
firewall or access point in the event of a failure. It does cost a
little more to start with but I find it better to build up a decent
network from seperate parts than save a few quid and buy an all in one
solution when I've already got most of the functions setup and working
in existing kit.

Yup - agree with the above. It would cost you more to get a new all in one
even if you sold your existing router so you are better off going for just a
wireless access point.
It also means that if you would like to locate it in another part of the
room (due to signal strength) then its easy enough as you can just run a
ethernet cable between the two without having to move the router

--

SJW