Using VNC through router - OT(ish)

Old December 18th 04, 12:56 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Steve O

Default Using VNC through router - OT(ish)

Hi group.

I've just started having a dabble with TightVNC and I can see how this is
the answer to a maidens prayer when I get called by mates. (Being the one
who knows 'a little bit about computers'). Well I do only know a little bit,
and virtually nothing about the black art of networking.

Anyway, it's a little OT but here goes:

TightVNC works great here at home, I can connect to a machine at 192.168.2.x
on my LAN quite happily.
Also, I assume that I can connect to a machine somewhere else if I know
their IP addy and VNC password. No problem there hopefully.
But if they are behind a router, which most are, what general configuration
setting do I need to do to a router such that I can connect to a machine
that is connected to it.

Lets say there are 3 machines on the end of a router at xx.x.xxx.xx - and I
want to connect to one of them? How do I do it when all 3 are at the same IP
address?

Does this make sense? Can somebody help please?

Many thanks.
Steve

--
#Reply address#
steve_at_steveolive_dot_co_dot_uk

Old December 18th 04, 01:47 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
lurch

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 11:56:12 -0000, "Steve O" strung
together this:

Does this make sense? Can somebody help please?

You wouldn't have 3 machines behind a firewall with the same IP
addresses otherwise the network wouldn't work.
You need to set up a secure connection between you and the remote
network otherwise everything on both networks is unencrypted and
accessable by anyone.
Google for VPN.
--

SJW
Old December 18th 04, 02:16 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article Steve O says...
[...]

Forward Port 10000 on the router to the IP addy of the machine you want
to use.

--
Conor

A man alone in the forest is talking to himself and no women around to
hear him. Is he still wrong?
Old December 18th 04, 07:27 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 11:56:12 -0000, "Steve O" wrote:

Hi group.

I've just started having a dabble with TightVNC and I can see how this is
the answer to a maidens prayer when I get called by mates. (Being the one
who knows 'a little bit about computers'). Well I do only know a little bit,
and virtually nothing about the black art of networking.

Yes, I've done this with a friend who only had a software firewall so
when the request came in he 'allowed' the connection.

If you are connecting to someone else who is behind a router they will
have to direct any incoming request for port 5900 (I think this is
the vnc default) to the local IP address of the problem computer.

When I did this with a friend he was on the phone and was able to tell
me his IP address (Hover mouse over VNC server icon).

Geoff Lane

Old December 19th 04, 02:10 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Graham

You wouldn't have 3 machines behind a firewall with the same IP
addresses otherwise the network wouldn't work.
You need to set up a secure connection between you and the remote
network otherwise everything on both networks is unencrypted and
accessable by anyone.
Google for VPN.

But from where the OP is sitting (ie. OUTSIDE that LAN) the three machines
will be indistinguishable behind the same IP address.

I don't use VNC, but you and I both use Radmin so let me illustrate using
that.

I have just such a network at work which I regularly access using Radmin.
The firewall forwards the default port (4899 for Radmin) to one of the three
machines (the one most likely to be left switched on)

If I want to connect to either of the other machines I connect to the same
address bit using the 'connect via host' option of Radmin to specify the
network host name of the machine I want. I don't use the internal IP address
because I cannot guarantee which one will be which, it depends on the order
in which they were booted (DHCP)

To make things even more reliable I call the network by a DynDNS name and
don't even have to keep track of the IP

Does VNC have the equivalent "of connect via host?"

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old December 19th 04, 10:36 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Steve O

Sorted now thanks.

Old December 28th 04, 12:06 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
poster

On 18 Dec 2004 in uk.comp.home-networking, Geoff Lane wrote:

I thought port 5900 was the default VNC port, I know you can use
others but what made you mention 10000?

No clue, but yes, 5900-5909 are the ports I'd use too. However, I have
seen ports 5800,1,2 being tested for, using some software (as VNC can be
accessed using a Java-enabled browser) so I'd make these 3 systems use
screen numbers of 4,5,6 or something similar, and then forward ports
5904 - IP #1, 5905 - IP #2, 5906 - IP #3

(where IP #1 is the IP of the first LAN PC at the other end). If the
"calling party" has a fixed IP, that would add to security by letting
only that IP (and local LAN addresses) through the firewall on the PC

Works fine when I connect to someone's Laptop, Win 98 and Win XP PC
(the first two via wireless link from his Belkin router). Peter M.

--
PlusNet http://tinyurl.com/3zgqv - I recommend them and save some cash.