To bridge or not to bridge

Old December 18th 04, 05:19 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jimbo

Default To bridge or not to bridge

Hi Folks,
I've got a D-Link DSL-504 but have recently bought a new latop with
a wireless connection. So I want to plug something wireless into my
DSL-504 so I can use the wireless connection. Do I need a bridge or a
wireless access point? And whatever gizmo I plug into the DSL-504 what
IP address will it be assigned?

Cheers
James.

Old December 18th 04, 06:10 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
lurch

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 17:19:38 +0000 (UTC), Jimbo
strung together this:

Hi Folks,
I've got a D-Link DSL-504 but have recently bought a new latop with
a wireless connection. So I want to plug something wireless into my
DSL-504 so I can use the wireless connection. Do I need a bridge or a
wireless access point? And whatever gizmo I plug into the DSL-504 what
IP address will it be assigned?

All you need is a wireless access point, any make. Should be straight
forward enough, instructions are all in the box but it's usually just
a case of plugging it in.
--

SJW
Old December 18th 04, 06:15 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

wrote:

Hi Folks,
I've got a D-Link DSL-504 but have recently bought a new latop with
a wireless connection. So I want to plug something wireless into my
DSL-504 so I can use the wireless connection. Do I need a bridge or a
wireless access point? And whatever gizmo I plug into the DSL-504 what
IP address will it be assigned?

You need an Access Point, doesn't have to be a D-Link product as I
have a Netgear Access Point plugged in to a Vigor router.

The D-Link router has probably got a built in DHCP server which
automatically gives out IP addresses to whatever is connected to it.

Whatever Access Point you buy will have an SSID name, this is
changable but whether you leave it as default (Not a good idea) or
change it the WiFi device on your laptop needs the same SSID.

WiFi is good fun and useful but don't expect the range and speeds that
the manufacturers claim.

Geoff Lane

Old December 18th 04, 06:33 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

"Jimbo" wrote in message
Hi Folks,
I've got a D-Link DSL-504 but have recently bought a new latop with
a wireless connection. So I want to plug something wireless into my
DSL-504 so I can use the wireless connection. Do I need a bridge or a
wireless access point?

Both. Most, if not all, wireless access points (APs) have an Ethernet port.
They act as a bridge between wired and wireless networks.

And whatever gizmo I plug into the DSL-504 what IP address will it be
assigned?

Whatever the documentation for the AP says. If the DSL-504 acts as a DHCP
server then probably the address it offers.

Alex