Annoying wireless connection drops

Old December 18th 04, 06:08 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Steve Jackson

Default Annoying wireless connection drops

I have a Netgear DG384G upgraded to firmware release 1.04. I keep getting
a drop in my internet connection every fifteen minutes or so on average on
my PC and laptop, both of which connect to the network via Belkin wireless
cards.

I didn't have this problem originally, and I can't determine any changes I
have made that coincide with when the problem started. I am running
Windows XP on both machines, one with SP2, and one with SP1 (been too lazy
to upgrade it).

The machines remain connected to the network as file transfers locally
carry on with no problems when I lose the internet connection. The drops
are very brief, lasting around 10 seconds or so. My Xbox is physically
connected to the router and suffers no drops at all.

I have tried using this http://www.overclockers.com/tips1190/ to no avail.

I am aware of the later 1.05 firmware being out but given problems with
some of the previous releases I would like some feedback before I try and
use that as a cure.

Any suggestions to help with this problem?

Thanks in advance.
--
:: Steve Jackson Gamertag: SteJay City of Heroes: Blue-Vixen on Victory
:: Use Amazon? http://tinyurl.com/4kdn to help a preschool charity
Old December 18th 04, 06:16 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Steve Jackson

I forgot to mention, as long as my router is turned on I can connect to the
internet with my Xbox at any time, but if I boot up one of the computers after
a long time, like the next morning or something, I need to reboot my router
before the computer can 'see' the wireless network and connect to the internet.

Old December 18th 04, 06:32 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On 18 Dec 2004 18:08:09 GMT, Steve Jackson
wrote:

I have a Netgear DG384G upgraded to firmware release 1.04. I keep getting
a drop in my internet connection every fifteen minutes or so on average on
my PC and laptop, both of which connect to the network via Belkin wireless
cards.

How far away are the various machines, manufacturers don't mention the
problems with signals being affected by normal household things like
walls and radiators.

Geoff Lane

Old December 18th 04, 06:47 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Steve Jackson

Would you like a chocolate-covered pretzel Geoff Lane?

wrote:

I have a Netgear DG384G upgraded to firmware release 1.04. I keep getting
a drop in my internet connection every fifteen minutes or so on average on
my PC and laptop, both of which connect to the network via Belkin wireless
cards.

How far away are the various machines, manufacturers don't mention the
problems with signals being affected by normal household things like
walls and radiators.

My desktop PC is about 3 foot away from the router, although there is a wall
and a radiator in the way. I am aware of the problems this can cause but I
did get the network running perfectly for some months previously with the
equipment in these positions.

Old December 18th 04, 07:07 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On 18 Dec 2004 18:47:54 GMT, Steve Jackson
wrote:

How far away are the various machines, manufacturers don't mention the
problems with signals being affected by normal household things like
walls and radiators.

My desktop PC is about 3 foot away from the router, although there is a wall
and a radiator in the way. I am aware of the problems this can cause but I
did get the network running perfectly for some months previously with the
equipment in these positions.

Sometimes it is difficult to narrow down a problem; I've got a Netgear
MA101 connected to a TV adapter - being a telly I cannot monitor the
connection as well as on a computer but the Access Point often shows a
lost connection. Not quite as close as you but about 6 feet away and
direct line of site.

One laptop with built in WiFi gets a perfect connection two rooms
away, another laptop with Negear PC card has an erratic connection
sitting at the same table as the other laptop.

I do also have a TV video sender which uses the same 2.4MHZ band so
this could have an effect.

Try changing channels, also, my WiFi virtually stops when my microwave
is on, could you neighbour have bought something that affects it?

Geoff Lane