Newbie - Wirelessly Networking Printers

Old December 19th 04, 09:16 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
welshuser

Default Newbie - Wirelessly Networking Printers

Got 3 printers to share across small wireless network. Been advised to link
all 3 to 1 pc and use that pc for (amongs other things) printer sharing.
However, that means the PC will have to be permanently on to give me access
to the printers as and when needed. Any other solution that will allow just
the printers to remain on and nothing more?

thanks a lot.

Old December 19th 04, 09:41 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Steve O

You need a print server. Some routers have them built in or you can buy
standalone jobs.
There are a few on Ebuyer but whether you can plug in more than one printer
to each isn't clear. I somehow doubt it.

The experts on here will sort you out, but there will be a solution that
doesn't require a PC to be left on.

. ..

Old December 19th 04, 12:08 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Michael Salem

welshuser wrote:

Got 3 printers to share across small wireless network.

If you have a wired router or hub, and it's acceptable to have all the
printers near it, you can get an Edimax print server with 3 parallel
ports that will do the job. The model I use is the PrintSir 3100+, but
it's probably been superseded by a functionally identical model with a
different case. You need one RJ45 port.

HTH,
--
Michael Salem
Old December 19th 04, 12:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jimbo

welshuser wrote:
Got 3 printers to share across small wireless network. Been advised to link
all 3 to 1 pc and use that pc for (amongs other things) printer sharing.
However, that means the PC will have to be permanently on to give me access
to the printers as and when needed. Any other solution that will allow just
the printers to remain on and nothing more?

Try one of these or something similar : HP Jetdirect 170X Office Connect
External Print Server.

Jimbo.
Old December 20th 04, 08:37 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
welshuser

"Jimbo" wrote in message
welshuser wrote:
Got 3 printers to share across small wireless network. Been advised to
link all 3 to 1 pc and use that pc for (amongs other things) printer
sharing. However, that means the PC will have to be permanently on to
give me access to the printers as and when needed. Any other solution
that will allow just the printers to remain on and nothing more?

Try one of these or something similar : HP Jetdirect 170X Office Connect
External Print Server.

Jimbo.

thanks for the advice everybody, much appreciated. Will have a look
immediately.

Merry Christmas!!!