Cant configure router after sp2

Old December 20th 04, 10:51 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ian Booth

Default Cant configure router after sp2

Having installed sp2 on both my windows xp home machines I can no longer
access the router through the browser interface, it just times out when
I try to connect. The router is a SpeedTouch 530 connected to a 5 port
switch. All was fine before sp2. Any idea what's changed?
Old December 20th 04, 10:59 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Spin Dryer

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 10:51:22 +0000, [Ian Booth] said :-

Having installed sp2 on both my windows xp home machines I can no longer
access the router through the browser interface, it just times out when
I try to connect. The router is a SpeedTouch 530 connected to a 5 port
switch. All was fine before sp2. Any idea what's changed?

Check and possibly turn off the XP firewall, this is probably the
cause. SP2 turns on the firewall (Control Panel/Security Center).
Old December 22nd 04, 09:23 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ian Booth

Spin Dryer wrote:
On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 10:51:22 +0000, [Ian Booth] said :-

Having installed sp2 on both my windows xp home machines I can no longer
access the router through the browser interface, it just times out when
I try to connect. The router is a SpeedTouch 530 connected to a 5 port
switch. All was fine before sp2. Any idea what's changed?

Check and possibly turn off the XP firewall, this is probably the
cause. SP2 turns on the firewall (Control Panel/Security Center).

Got it working now! Turns out it wasn't the XP firewall but dodgy UPnP
support in either sp2 or the SpeedTouch. Disabled UPnP on both computers
and the SpeedTouch and all's well. The only thing is now I can no longer
see the Internet gateway in Network Connections or the SpeedTouch in My
Network Places, but I'll just have to live with that I guess.
Old December 22nd 04, 11:51 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ian Booth

Ian Booth wrote:
Spin Dryer wrote:

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 10:51:22 +0000, [Ian Booth] said :-

Having installed sp2 on both my windows xp home machines I can no longer
access the router through the browser interface, it just times out when
I try to connect. The router is a SpeedTouch 530 connected to a 5 port
switch. All was fine before sp2. Any idea what's changed?

Check and possibly turn off the XP firewall, this is probably the
cause. SP2 turns on the firewall (Control Panel/Security Center).

Got it working now! Turns out it wasn't the XP firewall but dodgy UPnP
support in either sp2 or the SpeedTouch. Disabled UPnP on both computers
and the SpeedTouch and all's well. The only thing is now I can no longer
see the Internet gateway in Network Connections or the SpeedTouch in My
Network Places, but I'll just have to live with that I guess.

Just an update for anyone who's interested, I've now re-enabled UPnP
support on all devices but left out the Internet Gateway Device
Discovery and Control Client. Now all seems ok. Leaving it alone now!