WiFi with 3 OSs.

Old December 21st 04, 12:31 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Michael Harding

Default WiFi with 3 OSs.

My current two comps use Windows95 and WindowsME. I expect to add a laptop
with WindowsXP and want to have the three running on a WiFi network.

Can someone advise me whether a router would deal with these three different
systems and if so, what I need add to the present two computers to make them
able to receive the signals.

Advice would be appreciated.
MH

Old December 21st 04, 02:09 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Michael Salem

Michael Harding wrote:

My current two comps use Windows95 and WindowsME. I expect to add a laptop
with WindowsXP and want to have the three running on a WiFi network.

Can someone advise me whether a router would deal with these three different
systems

Yes, it will deal with any operating system with TCP/IP support.

what I need add to the present two computers to make them
able to receive the signals.

I presume you intend to use a "wireless router"; if not you will need a
wireless access point (AP). Each computer must have a wireless LAN
adaptor of some sort: PCMCIA, PCI, or USB. I would not expect Win95 to
handle USB.

There may be problems installing the wireless adaptor drivers; the older
the operating system, the more likely you are to have problems, or
adaptors without support for the OS. I bought a USB adaptor from Maplin
a couple of months ago, and couldn't get it working under Win98SE in a
reasonable amount of time.

HTH,
==
Michael Salem
Old December 21st 04, 08:28 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 12:31:57 -0000, "Michael Harding"
wrote:

My current two comps use Windows95 and WindowsME. I expect to add a laptop
with WindowsXP and want to have the three running on a WiFi network.

Can someone advise me whether a router would deal with these three different
systems and if so, what I need add to the present two computers to make them
able to receive the signals.

The Win95 might be a problem with WiFi. Of course it can be plugged in
to the router using an ethernet cable if the Win95 machine has an
ethernet card. These are only about 10ukp anyway.

Geoff Lane