Signal Strength - Or lack of...

Old December 22nd 04, 04:41 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Sturgeon

Default Signal Strength - Or lack of...

Although I am over the moon of my newly completed network, I am a little
upset that the signal seems to fade from 100% to 80% after moving it
half a metre.

I have done a little research, but i'm still unsure which is the best
solution.

As I see it, here they a

1.) Get a signal boosting box that sits with the router and sends out a
stonger original signal.
2.) Get little signal boosters that go around the house strengthening
it in the immediate area.
3.) Get bigger antena so sent and recieved signal is better.
4.) Kock big holes in walls and have glass ceilings and floorboards.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Phil Sturgeon
Old December 22nd 04, 06:37 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
mikeFNB

i would not worry about it one bit.
it will not have any effect on throughput at all

mike

Old December 22nd 04, 10:10 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Sturgeon

mikeFNB wrote:
[...]

Well you may say that, but when you have to ask it to reconnect every
few minutes it can be annoying. It hasn't done it for a while, but I
would still like the safty of it not hoving on the brink of unconnection
in case I am doing something that I would require it to work for.

That understandable?
Old December 22nd 04, 11:55 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ian Tindale

Phil Sturgeon wrote:

Although I am over the moon of my newly completed network, I am a little
upset that the signal seems to fade from 100% to 80% after moving it
half a metre.

Not sure that the technology is really designed to traverse the curvature of
the lunar surface. It's not like Short Wave back on Earth, you know.
--
Ian Tindale
Old December 23rd 04, 12:05 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
mikeFNB

ok fair comment if it is causing drop outs.
how about one of the many reflectors you can build and put on.
i get good results with my router in the loft with each duck horizontal and
with a reflector on them both.
in a three story house i get connection everywhere (apart from in the
kitchen near the fridge/microwave)
and even get out to my garden.

mike

"Phil Sturgeon" wrote in message
k...

Old December 23rd 04, 12:08 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ian Tindale

mikeFNB wrote:

in a three story house i get connection everywhere (apart from in the
kitchen near the fridge/microwave)
and even get out to my garden.

But that's a different story.
--
Ian Tindale
Old December 23rd 04, 05:21 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Michael Salem

Phil Sturgeon wrote:

when you have to ask it to reconnect every
few minutes it can be annoying. It hasn't done it for a while, but I
would still like the safty of it not hoving on the brink of unconnection
in case I am doing something that I would require it to work for.

You are assuming that the disconnections are due to low signal strength.
This isn't necessarily so -- before spending money, check that you don't
get disconnections at shorter range, and try using a different WiFi
adaptor.

You can try strengthening the signal by additional antennas, directional
antennas, and moving stuff around; there's a lot of information on the
Web.

You can also get a repeater, which is better than a simple signal
booster (if they exist). The repeater must be known to work with your
AP. For example, the D_Link DWL-990+ (I think that's the model) is
specified to work with many other D-Link models, and is known (though
not guaranteed by either manufacturer) to work with Draytek Vigor kit
ADSL and cable wireless routers.

HTH,
--
Michael Salem
Old December 23rd 04, 08:57 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Sturgeon

Michael Salem wrote:
Phil Sturgeon wrote:

[...]

Good point. The signal repeaters you mentioned are what I was reffering
to in point 2.

But I think it may now not be due to low signal, as I have experienced a
few cutouts right here, and my router is half a meter from my adapter (I
clearly plan to move this as there is little point in a wireless link
for that. heh!).

So if its not signal strength, what is it? And what can be done about
interfearence from a wireless phone handset? When somebody rings, it
cuts too.

Phil
Old December 23rd 04, 08:58 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Sturgeon

Ian Tindale wrote:
Phil Sturgeon wrote:

Although I am over the moon of my newly completed network, I am a little
upset that the signal seems to fade from 100% to 80% after moving it
half a metre.

Not sure that the technology is really designed to traverse the curvature of
the lunar surface. It's not like Short Wave back on Earth, you know.

There's always one... :P
Old December 23rd 04, 11:17 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Michael Salem

Phil Sturgeon wrote:

Good point. The signal repeaters you mentioned are what I was reffering
to in point 2.

Ah, but you have to use the right jargon!

But I think it may now not be due to low signal,

That's what I thought

So if its not signal strength, what is it?

The general perversity of Microsoft Windows (TM) systems. I myself am
using a USB adaptor which cuts out now and again, but not so often I
have bothered to fix it properly. When it cuts out I either unplug and
reconnect it, or Disable and then Enable the wireless network. In your
place I would install all XP updates, update the drivers (didn't help
me), and then try using a different adaptor and/or AP. I have heard of
this sort of thing being due to the AP used (individual AP, not model).
Maybe others will make further suggestions?

And what can be done about
interference from a wireless phone handset? When somebody rings, it
cuts too.

Presumably it's a DECT phone. I think the only thing to do here is move
things away from each other. I suppose you could experiment with
shielding. Or try using different WiFi or phone hardware. Maybe I've
just been lucky, but I haven't had interference problems on any of
several networks.

HTH,
--
Michael Salem