Network Installation Course?

Old December 23rd 04, 11:55 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Treefrog

Default Network Installation Course?

Hi,

Can anybody advise me on the nest place to learn about network installation
in Lancashire/Preston area.
I don't need to know about the software side of it, I'm a programmer by
profession, but I need to learn about the actual CAT5 installation, conduit
routing and crimping the plugs etc.
Finally, is any sort of formal qualification required to install networks
(hardware) for businesses?
My current approach has been to just install a wifi router and away they go,
often the easiest and best solution, but I'd like to be able to offer wired
networks too incase I have a client that wants more speed.

Thanks,

Nathan

Old December 23rd 04, 08:35 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
lurch

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 11:55:05 -0000, "Treefrog"
strung together this:

Can anybody advise me on the nest place to learn about network installation
in Lancashire/Preston area.

You'd be better off sub-contracting any work like that out to be
honest. There's more to network cabling than reading a couple of
books.
You need to learn all the tips and tricks that makes a good
installation engineer with regard to hiding cables etc... The best way
to learn this is as an apprentice sort of thing, if you get a
sub-contractor you can learn from them.
I go to loads of jobs where someone who has an idea about terminating
the cable has wired the whole place and to me it looks like a total
DIY bodge, even though the original installer thinks it's the best
thing ever.
I do data cabling etc.. in that area as it happens....
--

SJW
Old December 23rd 04, 08:42 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dr Zoidberg

Treefrog wrote:
Hi,

Can anybody advise me on the nest place to learn about network
installation in Lancashire/Preston area.
I don't need to know about the software side of it, I'm a programmer
by profession, but I need to learn about the actual CAT5
installation, conduit routing and crimping the plugs etc.
Finally, is any sort of formal qualification required to install
networks (hardware) for businesses?
My current approach has been to just install a wifi router and away
they go, often the easiest and best solution, but I'd like to be able
to offer wired networks too incase I have a client that wants more
speed.

What sort of sized networks are you talking about?
If you are using less than 50 PCs then it's pretty straightforward to plug a
decent switch into a router and then wire up a bunch of wall sockets and
patch leads. As long as you are a reasonably competent DIYer then you should
be able to get the hang of it with a couple of days study and practice.
If you are going to be installing anything much larger then it does get
pretty complicated.

--
Alex

Join dozens of newsgroup users in making a group charity purchase from
www.oxfamunwrapped.com Full details at www.drzoidberg.co.uk -over 1800
raised so far

Old December 28th 04, 02:33 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Treefrog

What sort of sized networks are you talking about?

Much less than 50 machines.
Basically, I've been (still am) a programmer for the last 5 years. I've
worked with huge(ish) LANs and WANs, organised spaghetti patch panels of 200
machines, built many home networks etc. Now, I'm starting to get more and
more freelance consultancy work (ranging from web design to basic network
installs) which is paying far better than programming. I decided to expand
on this and hopefully go fully self employed sometime next year ('05).

The trouble is, I have only ever setup either wireless or prewired networks
and the ability to install cat5 seems to be an essential service that I
should be offering if I want to progress to slightly bigger companies.
Most of the (freelance) work I have done so far has been for small companies
with between 2 and 6 machines. The two machine install was simply a x-over
patch lead and the other two were wireless. As it happens, it was the
perfect solution for each company but I'd hate to have to turn a job down
because they'd be better off on cat5 and I can't do it.

If anybody needs a part-time assistant/apprentice for this sort of thing,
I'm available on Wednesday and weekends ;o)

Can anybody recommend a book on the subject?

Thanks,

Nathan

Old December 29th 04, 03:03 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Merlin

"Treefrog" wrote in message
Hi,

Can anybody advise me on the nest place to learn about network
installation
in Lancashire/Preston area.
I don't need to know about the software side of it, I'm a programmer by
profession, but I need to learn about the actual CAT5 installation,
conduit
routing and crimping the plugs etc.
Finally, is any sort of formal qualification required to install networks
(hardware) for businesses?
My current approach has been to just install a wifi router and away they
go,
often the easiest and best solution, but I'd like to be able to offer
wired
networks too incase I have a client that wants more speed.

Thanks,

Nathan

Nathan it is not that straight foreword. Cat5 & crimping plugs is not
really a networking job it is only the cable side of networking which
is usually outsourced to cable company's as it is just the labour side
of networking (no offence to cablers). True networking is in the
design of the network , switches, routers, hubs,servers, IP address's etc.
The cabling is lower paid than the design side so why not have a
look at designing networks which will cover all aspect's of the trade.
Try a CompTIA Network+ as a first step as they are cheaper courses
than Cisco etc to get a feel for the job.
Courses are not cheap but if it's a cabling job you want to do then
look in the phone book and offer yourself as free labour to a few
of the smaller firms and you may end up with a job at the end of it.