Transfer between machines

Old December 23rd 04, 03:31 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Lilywhite

Default Transfer between machines

I have just purchased a new PC (Xmas deliveries permitting) and will
be wanting to transfer data from my old PC which is Windows 98 SE onto
my new machine (XP Pro). Is is straight forward to network XP machines
with 98 SE? My network is wireless if this makes any difference. I
have got 2 other laptops already on the network but have never tried
swapping data between the machines.

Also, which is the best way to network the printer? I presume I could
use my new machine as the server but would need to buy a print server.

Any ideas/advice about swapping the data as I have about 80 GB of data
on the old machine.
Old December 23rd 04, 04:18 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Lilywhite wrote:

Also, which is the best way to network the printer? I presume I could
use my new machine as the server but would need to buy a print server.

??? You can *either* use your new machine as the server *or* buy a
print server, you don't need to do both. Obvious advantage of a
print server is that no particular PC has to be turned on to allow
other PCs to use the printer.

Any ideas/advice about swapping the data as I have about 80 GB of data
on the old machine.

I think there are commercial utilities for doing this. Do you want to
copy only data or do you want to copy/install programs as well?

--
Chris Green
Old December 23rd 04, 04:57 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 15:31:06 GMT, Lilywhite
wrote:

Any ideas/advice about swapping the data as I have about 80 GB of data
on the old machine.

stick the hard disk in the new machine

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old December 23rd 04, 07:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dave Stanton

I was probably only thinking of copying data but maybe copying some
programs could save some time.

AS the other poster said, whack your old hd into the new computer as a
slave drive.

Dave