Cant use ICS

Old December 24th 04, 12:18 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Aosmosis

Default Cant use ICS

Hi had 2 PC's that were setup using a crossover cable.
ICS worked fine, no problems.

I then built another computer. This PC has the ADSL PCI modem, and connects
to the router by a patch cable.
Another PC also connects to the router by a patch cable. All the lights
indicate there are no problems with the cable itself.

When I turned both PCs on, they couldnt see each other. I delved into the
PDF user manual on CD, and I ended up setting the IP addresses manually. I
also had to specify the default gateway, which the manual said to use the IP
address allocated to the router. This number was printed in the apendix.

I set this number as the default gateway on both PCs any they could see each
other.
But there is no ICS

The product I bought was the following from ebuyer.com

Ebuyer 54mbps Wireless Cable/DSL (WI-FI) Broadband Router 4-port (802.11G)
Quckfind code 52629

Another thing that I noticed was that when I try to ping the router, as long
as I dont dial the DSL connection, I can get a reply. As soon as I connect
my DSL, the ping to the router times out.

The online help file is a nightmare, as I have no background in networking.

Thanks.

Old December 24th 04, 08:56 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 00:18:31 -0000, "Aosmosis" wrote:

I set this number as the default gateway on both PCs any they could see each
other.
But there is no ICS

there won't be, you have told the two PCs to look to the router
(gateway) for connectivity.

The product I bought was the following from ebuyer.com

Ebuyer 54mbps Wireless Cable/DSL (WI-FI) Broadband Router 4-port (802.11G)
Quckfind code 52629

better to buy combined modem/routers with the ADSL modem built in, but
never mind.

Another thing that I noticed was that when I try to ping the router, as long
as I dont dial the DSL connection, I can get a reply. As soon as I connect
my DSL, the ping to the router times out.

IP address of PC becomes external IP address from ISP hence lack of
connection, perhaps.

The online help file is a nightmare, as I have no background in networking.

does the router have a WAN port ? if it does, ignore it as that needs
an ethernet modem on it. Instead plug the PCs into LAN sockets (or
wireless) and set them to use 192.168.0.1 as thedefault gateway (this
is the ICS machine) and check that the ICS machine has that IP on its
ethernet card. You may also need to change the IP address of the
router to a 192.168.0.x one so that it fits with the other IP
addresses/subnet masks.

http://adsltech.com/portal/forum/for...?TID=2020&PN=1 may
help. Note the above is just using the router as a hub/switch/access
point and bypassing the router functionality, as ICS is acting as the
router.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old December 24th 04, 11:09 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Aosmosis

"phoenix" wrote in message
[...]

You don't need ICS when you have a router. It's the router that connects
your ADSL service and the PCs are plugged into the router and get tehir IP
addresses from that.

How have you got the systems configured at the moment? Have you got the
ADSL connection plugged into the router? If you've done that you don't
need
your internal ADSL modem.

Regards

Bill

Hi Bill,

The new PC I built has the ADSL PCI card. This connects to the
wired/wireless combo router.
On the back of the router, there is a WAN port, but thats for a cable modem
for telewest/bluyonder services etc, hence it doesnt apply to me.
When I connect to the net, its via my ADSL PCI card, and my ISP allocates an
IP address.

The product that I bought from ebuyer does not contain an ADSL modem, its
just a router that can route data wireless or via one of the 4 wired
ethernet ports.

I understand what you mean about no ICS, but I dont know how to configure
that bit. I can make the PCs see each other and view files on them, but no
internet.

Old December 24th 04, 07:58 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Aosmosis

"phoenix" wrote in message
On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 11:09:23 -0000, Aosmosis wrote:

"phoenix" wrote in message
[...]

Sorry, I didn't look at the product spec I just assumed it had an ADSL
modem as you described it as a cable/dsl router.

So, I guess you just want to use the router as a switch and forget about
the WAN part of it - is that correct? If it is you need to go into the
router configuration and disable the DHCP server, next on the PC that has
your ADSL modem you should be able to plug that into the ADSL connection
and the NIC connects to the switch part of the router. On that PC you
should be able to activate ICS on the NIC connected to the router, your
other PCs should have their setting for IP & DNS set to 'automatic'. They
will all pick up an IP/DNS/Gateway details from the ICS gateway PC as it
has a 'mini' DHCP server in ICS.

That should work. Post again if there's still any problems.

Regards

Bill

Hi Bill,

A mate came and helped me sort it all out. He did something very similar:

On the main machine (the one with the ADSL PCI modem) he set the IP address
so that the first 3 sections were the same as the router. The last digit was
given a value of 15.
Subnetmask 255.255.2550. No value for default gateway, and no value for DNS
server.

On the wired and wireless machines each was given its own IP address, again
the first 3 sections being the same, but the last section varying.
(wired=20, wireless 25) The Subnet mask remained at 255.255.255.0 for both.

For the default gateway, he put the IP address of the machine with the ADSL
modem.

And for the DNS server, he put the DNS server IP address that my ISP gives
me. AFAIK he says that the DNS server IP address rarely changes, as my ISP
would need to do some major work at their end, which would result in
disruption and a significant cost to themselves, however in the unlikely
event it changes, then I need to change the DNS server IP, which can be got
by typing ipcongif /all on the main PC. He gave me an explanation of how the
router is supposed to automatically supply the DNS server to all the other
computers, but due to the setup I had to type it in manually.

If I understand correctly Bill, I need to access the router config screen,
and disable the DHCP server. Then on the other PCs I can get the DNS server
IP address automatically? Would I need to specify the IP gateway as the IP
of the main machine, or would it be able to figure it out?
I would know if your method had worked, as I would be able to get internet
access on all the other PCs. Ideally, I would like to have the DNS address
done automatically, as I would have to change the settings for 4 PCs in the
long term when I expand my network, which can be rather tedious.

Thanks for your help.

Old December 24th 04, 09:07 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 19:58:56 -0000, "Aosmosis" wrote:

Ideally, I would like to have the DNS address
done automatically

just set it to the same IP address as the Default Gateway and the ICS
machine will forward DNS requests to the servers it is given by the
ISP

Phil