Help setting up a home connection

Old December 26th 04, 12:56 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Stugrad98

Default Help setting up a home connection

Hi,

I have two computers: one with WinXPPro and one with WinXPHome. The XPPro
machine is connected to a cable modem and a linksys router that connects to the
XPHome machine. The hardware appears to be working: I can connect to the
net through my host machine and I can see the orange flickering (presumably
data) on the cord connected to the other machine. But I cannot ping the other
computer. And I when I try ICS it says it cannot complete the network setup.
I've tried manual setup, and have been having problems there as well. Does
anyone have any suggestions.

-Stu

Old December 26th 04, 02:38 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Stugrad98

The pictures on this page aren't coming up and I've tried many of the things
they suggest. Let me add something that may help you figure out what my
problem is:

I have two connections (as most do) on my host computer. One is the high
speed 1394 connection, the other is the LAN connection. When I hit the 1394
and attempt to change the properties to allow network users to connect through
the host's internet connection, suddenly my host computer stops connecting to
the Net. When I set it back and disallow others from using the connection,
then the host computer connects fine. Any ideas?

-Stu
Old December 26th 04, 03:27 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tony

"Stugrad98" wrote in message
The pictures on this page aren't coming up and I've tried many of the
things
they suggest. Let me add something that may help you figure out what my
problem is:

I have two connections (as most do) on my host computer. One is the high
speed 1394 connection, the other is the LAN connection. When I hit the
1394
and attempt to change the properties to allow network users to connect
through
the host's internet connection, suddenly my host computer stops connecting
the Net. When I set it back and disallow others from using the
connection,
then the host computer connects fine. Any ideas?

-Stu

1394 is a firewire connection and probably not the one you are using for the
LAN.

Therefore you should be concentrating on the LAN connection.

Can you be a bit more specific how you have set things up? If you are using
a router, you shouldn't need ICS.

Modem should connect to router and then the two PC's should connect to
router.

Which one is your host machine? The Modem/router router should be the
"host" and "route" the internet to the two PC's.

Old December 26th 04, 08:25 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dave Stanton

I have two connections (as most do) on my host computer. One is the high
speed 1394 connection, the other is the LAN connection. When I hit the
1394 and attempt to change the properties to allow network users to
connect through the host's internet connection, suddenly my host computer
stops connecting to the Net. When I set it back and disallow others
from using the connection, then the host computer connects fine. Any
ideas?

-Stu

1394 is a Firewire connection ( not that common on deskyop pc's) and is
not used for networking.

Dave

Old December 27th 04, 09:08 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dave Stanton

1394 is a Firewire connection ( not that common on deskyop pc's) and is
not used for networking.

Firewire is common on new desktop PCs, and can easily be used for
networking over short distances.

When ethernet has been around for years, works and is understood, yeah ok.

Dave

Old December 27th 04, 04:05 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ben Cottrell

Geoff Lane wrote:
On 26 Dec 2004 00:56:48 GMT, (Stugrad98) wrote:

Hi,

I have two computers: one with WinXPPro and one with WinXPHome. The XPPro
machine is connected to a cable modem and a linksys router that connects to the
XPHome machine. The hardware appears to be working: I can connect to the
net through my host machine and I can see the orange flickering (presumably
data) on the cord connected to the other machine. But I cannot ping the other
computer. And I when I try ICS it says it cannot complete the network setup.
I've tried manual setup, and have been having problems there as well. Does
anyone have any suggestions.

Do I understand you ok, to the best of my knowledge (I've got an ADSL
modem) the cable modem should go in to the router and then both
machines should be connected to the router.

The router is effectively the 'host machine', your two computers have
no priority over each other and windows ICS does not need enabling as
it is the router that does the work.

No, he said that the cable modem is connected to the XP Pro machine,
which is probably where his problem is

to the OP : Why don't you connect the Cable modem to the router?

--
Ben Cottrell AKA Bench