Can't get both computers working together

Old December 26th 04, 03:25 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Sarah

Default Can't get both computers working together

Hi. Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas

Now, my problem (very basic language used here)

Last year I set up my network without problem. Since then I've had to
replace my wireless card and now I can't get both computers to use the
Internet at the same time.

Both computers are on XP. I have a Linksys router, a 'wired' computer
and a wireless laptop.

The laptop (wireless) can access the Internet no problem, but the
'wired' PC can't. There have been occasions where it's been vice versa.

It seems that they are using different channels, though I have no idea
how to change them. Do they need to be on the same channel?

Before I changed my wireless card, it was working fine.

Any suggestions?

Sarah
Old December 26th 04, 04:27 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 15:25:57 GMT, Sarah
wrote:

Any suggestions?

how does it all connect to the internet ?

If there isn't a systray icon for the wireless card you will be able
to access it via control panel to set the channel it uses, or set the
channel the Linksys router uses via its web page config (it is
wireless the Linksysy ??)

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old December 26th 04, 04:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Sarah

Phil Thompson wrote:

how does it all connect to the internet ?

Tower to router (wired)
Laptop wireless card to router.

If there isn't a systray icon for the wireless card you will be able
to access it via control panel to set the channel it uses,

There is a systray icon for the wireless card (which is working okay
BTW), but there doesn't seem to be any place for me to change the channel.

The main PC (wired to the router) doesn't have an icon, so since that
one isn't working at the moment I'll try to change that. So how do I
change it via it's web page config?

Sarah
Old December 26th 04, 05:15 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 16:51:44 GMT, Sarah
wrote:

how does it all connect to the internet ?

Tower to router (wired)
Laptop wireless card to router.

and the internet ?? (a router is not necessarily an internet
connection, you'll need to explain your system to us).

If there isn't a systray icon for the wireless card you will be able
to access it via control panel to set the channel it uses,

There is a systray icon for the wireless card (which is working okay
BTW), but there doesn't seem to be any place for me to change the channel.

The main PC (wired to the router) doesn't have an icon, so since that
one isn't working at the moment I'll try to change that. So how do I
change it via it's web page config?

can you access the web page of the wireless router ? usually there's a
Wireless or WLAN settings page with a channel selection option. If
your laptop has a signal from the router (does it ?) then the channel
is not your issue.

Wireless channels are irrelevant to the wired connection.

We need to know the IP addresses of the laptop and tower, can you see
these from, the propoerties of the Network connection (what version of
what operating system) or put 'cmd' in th eRun box of Start in XP then
'ipconfig /all' in the resulting black screen DOS box. Right mouse,
select mark, drag over the results and hit enter to copy, then paste
them here - or just type them

need to know IP address of each machine, IP address of router, default
gateway and DNS server settings on each PC

Phil
Old December 26th 04, 05:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

wrote:

Last year I set up my network without problem. Since then I've had to
replace my wireless card and now I can't get both computers to use the
Internet at the same time.

Both computers are on XP. I have a Linksys router, a 'wired' computer
and a wireless laptop.

The laptop (wireless) can access the Internet no problem, but the
'wired' PC can't. There have been occasions where it's been vice versa.

Right, so sometimes the laptop (wireless) cannot access the internet.

It seems that they are using different channels, though I have no idea
how to change them. Do they need to be on the same channel?

The wired one doesn't use a channel, only the wifi one does so that
should not be a problem.

Before I changed my wireless card, it was working fine.

Sometimes it is not easy to sort - I have just changed my WiFi set up
to use encryption, now sometimes I have to manually log on and
sometimes I don't.

Do you run user accounts on XP, this can cause certain set ups to run
strangely.

Also, I would disable ICS settings in XP as the router is doing the
routing.

Geoff Lane

Geoff Lane

Old December 26th 04, 06:03 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Sarah

wrote:

how does it all connect to the internet ?

Tower to router (wired)
Laptop wireless card to router.

and the internet ?? (a router is not necessarily an internet
connection, you'll need to explain your system to us).

Broadband connection via the router? Router is wired to an NTL setup
box. Both Dell computers on XP.

can you access the web page of the wireless router ?

My wireless connection (laptop) can access the web page. My pc can't
(no internet connection). Okay, so I accessed the web page and when I
came out of that page, my wireless (laptop) immediately lost internet
connection, but the wired PC then got it. I closed both computers down
and rebooted everything (setup box, router, computers) and I now have it
back on the laptop and not the PC. Why would that be?
usually there's a

your laptop has a signal from the router (does it ?) then the channel
is not your issue.

So my laptop is working fine. The main PC can't access the internet.
Both were working fine until I changed my wireless laptop network card
(the previous one broke).

need to know IP address of each machine, IP address of router, default
gateway and DNS server settings on each PC

Phil

IP of wireless connection (laptop) 192.168.1.100
IP of wired connection (PC) 192.168.1.102
Default gateway (laptop and PC) 192.168.1.1
DNS servers (wireless - laptop) 194.168.4.100 and 194.168.8.100
DNS servers (wired PC) 194.168.4.100 and 194.168.8.100
Address of router 192.168.1.1

Thanks Phil. We've been in this predicament for days now and kids and
husband are getting restless.

Sarah
Old December 26th 04, 06:21 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Sarah

Geoff Lane wrote:

The wired one doesn't use a channel, only the wifi one does so that
should not be a problem.

Thanks. A new thing to add to my brain.

Do you run user accounts on XP, this can cause certain set ups to run
strangely.

The PC does, the laptop doesn't.

Also, I would disable ICS settings in XP as the router is doing the
routing.

How do I do that then?

Sarah
Old December 26th 04, 06:44 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 18:03:32 GMT, Sarah
wrote:

Broadband connection via the router? Router is wired to an NTL setup
box. Both Dell computers on XP.

NTL - cable. I don't do cable, shouldn't the router be allocated an
external IP address by the NTL box or something ?? does NTL expect to
see specific MAC addresses or only one MAC address at once (MAC
addres sis unique to an ethernet card, wireless card etc).

can you access the web page of the wireless router ?

My wireless connection (laptop) can access the web page. My pc can't
(no internet connection).

the router setup page would be a LAN connection, not an internet
conneciton.

IP of wireless connection (laptop) 192.168.1.100
IP of wired connection (PC) 192.168.1.102
DNS servers (wireless - laptop) 194.168.4.100 and 194.168.8.100
DNS servers (wired PC) 194.168.4.100 and 194.168.8.100
Address of router 192.168.1.1

these seem OK, assuming the DNS server addresses are correct for NTL.
The subnet masks are pressumably 255.255.255.0 on both laptop and PC.

You should be able to put 192.168.1.1 in the web browser and see the
router setup pages, or 'ping 192.168.1.1' from both PCs from a DOS
box. You should also be able to ping one PC from the toher and vice
versa - if all that works then you're down to the NTL specific stuff
tha tI don't know about - sorry !

Phil
Old December 26th 04, 07:16 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Sarah

Phil Thompson wrote:

can you access the web page of the wireless router ?

My wireless connection (laptop) can access the web page. My pc can't
(no internet connection).

the router setup page would be a LAN connection, not an internet
conneciton.

I still don't get it though (with the PC that's got no connection).
Works on the laptop, but the PC just says 'page cannot be displayed' etc.

You should be able to put 192.168.1.1 in the web browser and see the
router setup pages, or 'ping 192.168.1.1' from both PCs from a DOS
box.

Okay, so I really am showing my ignorance here. How do I 'ping'? I
tried putting ping 192.168.1.1 at the dos prompt. It then said
'pinging 192.168.1.1 with 32 bytes of data', then nothing. Does that
means it worked? I want it to say "Success! Have a gold star" :-)

You should also be able to ping one PC from the toher and vice
versa - if all that works then you're down to the NTL specific stuff
tha tI don't know about - sorry !

Never mind. I pick up tips from different people. Put them altogether
and I might get this blasted thing going again.
Thanks

Sarah
Old December 26th 04, 08:46 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 19:16:30 GMT, Sarah
wrote:

Okay, so I really am showing my ignorance here. How do I 'ping'? I
tried putting ping 192.168.1.1 at the dos prompt. It then said
'pinging 192.168.1.1 with 32 bytes of data', then nothing. Does that
means it worked? I want it to say "Success! Have a gold star" :-)

it should say something like:

C:\Documents and Settings\Phil.XP2100ping 10.0.0.2

Pinging 10.0.0.2 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 10.0.0.2: bytes=32 time1ms TTL=64
Reply from 10.0.0.2: bytes=32 time1ms TTL=64
Reply from 10.0.0.2: bytes=32 time1ms TTL=64
Reply from 10.0.0.2: bytes=32 time1ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 10.0.0.2:

or
C:\Documents and Settings\Phil.XP2100ping 10.0.0.7
Pinging 10.0.0.7 with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.

(10.0.0.7 doesn't exist in this case)

XP Firewall may blcok pings, disable on both machines. If you can't
ping the router from either PC and one PC from the other there's an
internal problem on your LAN

Phil