Setting up email and personal Folders on a home network

Old December 27th 04, 12:01 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jim Hunt

Default Setting up email and personal Folders on a home network

I've set up a home network which has two desktops, one using XP2 home and
one using 98SE (although this will be upgraded soon) and a laptop running
XP2 home.

I use outlook express to access email everyone in the family has an account
with the same ISP (all associated with the main account). Email is
downloaded to the PC so only new mail is stored on the server.

I've created accounts on the XP machines for each family member so each XP
PC has personal filing for each user.

What I'd like to do is:

1/ Be able to access mail fom any PC with each PC having access to the files
storing old mail. It seems you can't do this with Outlook Express. Is there
another mail client I can use that does allow this? Any other suggestions?

2/ Create a personal filing space on one central PC for each user so that
people don't have to remember which PC a particular file is on.

Old December 27th 04, 12:54 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
recursor

"Jim Hunt" wrote in message ...
snip
What I'd like to do is:

1/ Be able to access mail fom any PC with each PC having access to the files
storing old mail. It seems you can't do this with Outlook Express. Is there
another mail client I can use that does allow this? Any other suggestions?

You can import a message store from anywhere with Outlook Express, thus any computer on the network
can get at old mail, if that's what you meant.

Old December 27th 04, 03:12 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tony

"Jim Hunt" wrote in message
[...]

Easiest way to view emails from any PC is to use a browser type email
set-up. I use 602LAN Suite which is free for up to 5 users. You can view
emails from any PC through a browser. You can also download to Outlook and
if you set the account up so it doesn't delete from server after download,
old emails will stay on the server. http://www.software602.com/products/ls/

With regards to the second query, can you not just set up a folder for each
user and get them to save files to the folder?

Old December 27th 04, 03:41 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

In article , "Jim Hunt"
says...
I've set up a home network which has two desktops, one using XP2 home and
one using 98SE (although this will be upgraded soon) and a laptop running
XP2 home.

I use outlook express to access email everyone in the family has an account
with the same ISP (all associated with the main account). Email is
downloaded to the PC so only new mail is stored on the server.

I've created accounts on the XP machines for each family member so each XP
PC has personal filing for each user.

What I'd like to do is:

1/ Be able to access mail fom any PC with each PC having access to the files
storing old mail. It seems you can't do this with Outlook Express. Is there
another mail client I can use that does allow this? Any other suggestions?

I think the best way to achieve this is to run your own local mail
server - this is supposed to be a good one and it's free:

http://www.pmail.com/overviews/ovw_mercury.htm

2/ Create a personal filing space on one central PC for each user so that
people don't have to remember which PC a particular file is on.

Set up a network share on the "server" machine and map the user's
"My Documents" folder to it.
Old December 27th 04, 10:04 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tony

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
t...
In article , "Jim Hunt"
says...

I think the best way to achieve this is to run your own local mail
server - this is supposed to be a good one and it's free:

http://www.pmail.com/overviews/ovw_mercury.htm

I had problems with the Pagasus mail server in so far as if it wasn't
connected, it didn't store sent emails and send them when a connection was
made (it just deleted them). It also doesn't have a browser option to look
at emails from any PC or the option to integrate anti virus.

Old December 28th 04, 03:27 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

In article , "Tony"
says...

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
t...
In article , "Jim Hunt"
says...

I think the best way to achieve this is to run your own local mail
server - this is supposed to be a good one and it's free:

http://www.pmail.com/overviews/ovw_mercury.htm

I had problems with the Pagasus mail server in so far as if it wasn't
connected, it didn't store sent emails and send them when a connection was
made (it just deleted them).

Sounds like maybe you didn't have the task scheduler installed or
configured correctly.

It also doesn't have a browser option to look
at emails from any PC or the option to integrate anti virus.

IMAP lets you store messages centrally and access them from any
ordinary email client that handles IMAP accounts.
Old December 29th 04, 09:01 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
spamfrog

Jim Hunt wrote:

1/ Be able to access mail fom any PC with each PC having
access to the files storing old mail. It seems you can't
do this with Outlook Express. Is there another mail
client I can use that does allow this? Any other
suggestions?

2/ Create a personal filing space on one central PC for
each user so that people don't have to remember which PC
a particular file is on.

Me too !
1. In OE we would need to be able to define the path used for the inbox on
the non central PC's and then make it a shared file on the central one. I
don't think you can change the path though.

2. It appears that you can only share files with everyone and cannot specify
user names. I have mapped 'central PC' drive onto the other machine but this
makes the folders/files available to all.

--
Muzz
reply to uglyduck NOT spamfrog

Old December 29th 04, 11:09 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
David Wade

"spamfrog" wrote in message
Jim Hunt wrote:

1/ Be able to access mail fom any PC with each PC having
access to the files storing old mail. It seems you can't
do this with Outlook Express. Is there another mail
client I can use that does allow this? Any other
suggestions?

2/ Create a personal filing space on one central PC for
each user so that people don't have to remember which PC
a particular file is on.

Me too !
1. In OE we would need to be able to define the path used for the inbox on
the non central PC's and then make it a shared file on the central one. I
don't think you can change the path though.

You can change the path in Outlook Express.

Tools - Options - Maintenance - Store Folders

BUT only one user can use at once. For a proper server try say

http://netwinsite.com/surgemail/top_home.htm

free for 5 user personal use!

2. It appears that you can only share files with everyone and cannot

specify
user names. I have mapped 'central PC' drive onto the other machine but

this
makes the folders/files available to all.

.

95/98/ME only do this way
XP will let you set perms but its a bit of a drag with no domain.
A LINUX system with SAMBA might be the answer.

Old December 30th 04, 05:15 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
spamfrog

David Wade wrote:

You can change the path in Outlook Express.

Tools - Options - Maintenance - Store Folders

BUT only one user can use at once. For a proper server

Tried it in OE but as soon as you specify a network drive the OK button
greys out.