WEP Encryption - Connecting

Old December 27th 04, 02:01 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

Default WEP Encryption - Connecting

I've got a small problem logging on to my home network since I have
enabled WEP.

At the moment I have four WiFi connections, two laptops running XP
Home, a handheld running PocketPC2003 and a TV connection (Netgem)
which I understand uses a Linux OS.

Since I decided to tighten up my security and enable WEP I've had the
problem with one laptop;

I've got 64bit encryption with open key selected; my problem computer
is XP home with two users (Limited access) and ADMIN.

Now, I haven't quite narrowed it down to what is happening but I am
having to physically enter the WEB password before I can connect.

I don't quite understand the difference between open key and shared
key but I think this is an Access Point setting anyway.

Any ideas what might be wrong...

Geoff Lane

Old December 27th 04, 04:06 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Paul

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
I've got a small problem logging on to my home network since I have
enabled WEP.

At the moment I have four WiFi connections, two laptops running XP
Home, a handheld running PocketPC2003 and a TV connection (Netgem)
which I understand uses a Linux OS.

Since I decided to tighten up my security and enable WEP I've had the
problem with one laptop;

I've got 64bit encryption with open key selected; my problem computer
is XP home with two users (Limited access) and ADMIN.

Now, I haven't quite narrowed it down to what is happening but I am
having to physically enter the WEB password before I can connect.

I don't quite understand the difference between open key and shared
key but I think this is an Access Point setting anyway.

Any ideas what might be wrong...

Geoff Lane

Try disabling and stopping Wireless Zero Configuration in Services

Start Run Services.msc

Disable Wireless Zero Configuration

Old December 28th 04, 12:26 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 16:06:32 GMT, "Paul" wrote:

Now, I haven't quite narrowed it down to what is happening but I am
having to physically enter the WEB password before I can connect.

I don't quite understand the difference between open key and shared
key but I think this is an Access Point setting anyway.

Try disabling and stopping Wireless Zero Configuration in Services

Start Run Services.msc

Disable Wireless Zero Configuration

I think it may be a 'user' problem so re your suggestion, should I do
this from ADMIN and all users?

Geoff Lane

Old December 28th 04, 01:04 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Paul

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 16:06:32 GMT, "Paul" wrote:

Now, I haven't quite narrowed it down to what is happening but I am
having to physically enter the WEB password before I can connect.

I don't quite understand the difference between open key and shared
key but I think this is an Access Point setting anyway.

Try disabling and stopping Wireless Zero Configuration in Services

Start Run Services.msc

Disable Wireless Zero Configuration

I think it may be a 'user' problem so re your suggestion, should I do
this from ADMIN and all users?

Geoff Lane

The Services are not user specific. Changing Wireless Zero Configuration on
one user account will affect all user accounts

Old December 28th 04, 02:53 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 13:04:29 GMT, "Paul" wrote:

Now, I haven't quite narrowed it down to what is happening but I am
having to physically enter the WEB password before I can connect.

Try disabling and stopping Wireless Zero Configuration in Services

Start Run Services.msc

Disable Wireless Zero Configuration

After driving me mad going round in circles I enabled Wireless Zero
Configuration in Services, reset my AP to require 'shared' key.

I then had to reset my configuration in my Netgear utility and now it
all seems to be working OK.

What is the difference between open ad shared key authentication?

Geoff Lane