Recommended PCMCIA wireless card for Windows 98

Old December 28th 04, 11:45 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking
Stroller

Default Recommended PCMCIA wireless card for Windows 98

Hihi,

I've set up quite a few wireless networks now and am really happy with
configuring ADSL modem-routers & connecting to them under Windows XP (I
prefer SP2) and Mac OS X. I prefer Netgear kit where possible, as I
really like the web-interface on their routers & I like to use WLAN
cards from the same manufacturer when I can.

However I seem to be having some problems with the WG511 card (I think
the one I'm currently using is a rev. 1) under Windows 98. I'm really
happy with this card under XP, but I've found them intermittent under
Windows 98 in the past, and I can't get this particular one to connect
at all. Using the Netgear utility I can sometimes connect to the
network, but I don't seem to get an IP address via DHCP. I've tried the
2.5 & 2.7 drivers.

The same laptop connects perfectly using a D-Link DWL-122 and when I
install Windows XP SP2 on a spare hard-drive & pop that in there, the
WG511 connects fine. Unfortunately, I need to use a PCMCIA wireless
card under Windows 98. Does anyone have any recommendations or success
strories of currently-available cards, please?

Many TIA,

Stroller