Building a router

Old December 29th 04, 12:20 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking
Aosmosis

Default Building a router

After doing a clearout, I noticed I had enough bits to make a router PC.

PII 400Mhz,
Gigabyte motherboard,
64Mb RAM PC66
2x 10/100 LAN (3com and CNET)
1Mb ISA card, or 2mb PCI
Hard drives that I found spa
CDROM drive 16x
250Mb, 1GB, 4.3Gb, 8GB

I would love to use the 250Mb hard drive in this setup.

For the setup, I would be using an ADSL PCI modem which has linux drivers.
The modem is made by www.amigo.com.tw

Then I would have a patch cable running to my wired/wireless switch, which
the other PCs on my network would use. I have 3 other PCs on the network,
one connects via a 25m patch cable, and the other 2 are wireless.

Reason being that I dont want to leave my main PC on all the time. I shoud
have bought a wired/wirless router with an ADSL modem built in, but I didnt
think of that.

Also probably would have been cheaper in the long term, Imagine how much
money I am paying by running a 400 watt PC. To be honest when the PC is idle
I'd probably say theres about 200W being consumed. I'd make a saving by
going for a built in adsl router, but I just want to dabble in a bit of
networking for now.

TIA

Old December 29th 04, 02:50 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking
Martin Slaney

Aosmosis wrote:
[...]

^^^
Errr ... the above implies you meant to ask a question ...

I am not a marketing target ... I am a free man.
Old December 29th 04, 03:14 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking
Aosmosis

--
..

I am not a marketing target ... I am a free man.

LOL well noticed,

Does anyone know what linux distro would be the best for a complete novice?

Old December 29th 04, 03:35 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking
Martin

Aosmosis wrote:
[...]

I suggest you take a look at Mandrake 10.1 official. It comes with a choice
of Windows managers to choose from, so if the default KDE is too much for
your 64Mb RAM, you could try something else.

Martin

Old December 29th 04, 03:41 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking
Glenn

Aosmosis, IPcop is a very good Linux based router http://www.ipcop.org/

Glenn

Old December 29th 04, 03:52 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking
Bernard Peek

In message , Aosmosis
writes

Does anyone know what linux distro would be the best for a complete novice?

You can either choose a general-purpose Linux distro or a dedicated
firewall/proxy system. I would recommend the latter, Smoothwall or
IPCop.

--
Bernard Peek

Old December 29th 04, 03:57 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking
Martin Slaney

Aosmosis wrote:

After doing a clearout, I noticed I had enough bits to make a router PC.

^^^
Errr ... the above implies you meant to ask a question ...

--
..

I am not a marketing target ... I am a free man.

LOL well noticed,

Does anyone know what linux distro would be the best for a complete novice?

I use Smoothwall (www.smoothwall.org) - which is a highly stripped-down
dedicated NAT router/gateway/firewall solution .... has worked very well
for me for 2.5 years .... someone else mentioned IPCop - a similar thing.

But these are not really what you want if you also want to "futz around"
with Linux.

Generally people use SFF-type boxes for this - cuts down on power
consumption, noise etc.

There are some advantages over yer 60 quid router/firewall/switch
gizmo's, but not really much price advantage if you take into account
power consumption etc.

I am not a marketing target ... I am a free man.
Old December 29th 04, 08:33 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking
Treeherder

Bernard Peek wrote in :

You can either choose a general-purpose Linux distro or a dedicated
firewall/proxy system. I would recommend the latter, Smoothwall or
IPCop.

If you go for a dedicated distro (which I would recommend), you could also
take a peek at these two:
http://www.clarkconnect.com/info/index.html
http://contribs.org/modules/news/

--
treeherder.co.uk (marcus)

Any reference to trees or their herding is purely coincidental.
Old December 30th 04, 12:08 AM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking
lurch

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 15:57:09 +0000, Martin Slaney
strung together this:

I use Smoothwall (www.smoothwall.org) - which is a highly stripped-down
dedicated NAT router/gateway/firewall solution .... has worked very well
for me for 2.5 years .... someone else mentioned IPCop - a similar thing.

Just to be different, I'd recommend IPCop. I've been running it for 12
months without a hitch.

But these are not really what you want if you also want to "futz around"
with Linux.

That's what I thought when I looked into it originally, but there is a
certain amount of CLI stuff you can do that isn't configurable from
the web interface.

I use the IPCop box as the firewall and also run Linux on another
machine for "futzing" around on it. I wouldn't recommend using your
firewall as a practice machine.
--

SJW
Old December 30th 04, 09:02 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking
Dorothy Bradbury

PII 400Mhz,
Gigabyte motherboard,
64Mb RAM PC66
2x 10/100 LAN (3com and CNET)
1Mb ISA card, or 2mb PCI

Base on easiest driver support.

Hard drives that I found spa
CDROM drive 16x

Unplug after installing the O/S?

250Mb, 1GB, 4.3Gb, 8GB

1) PC will probably draw less than 60W
---- PSU efficiency will be only ~60%
---- however your loadavg will be tiny
---- a 150W SFF PSU may have better efficiency
2) You could sell the components & buy a router
---- might actually work out better re running cost

Firewall's (re NAT Router) are best kept "minimalist"
in terms of 1 service running re risks, vulnerability.
That said, Linux is easier to maintain re security.

3) even 250MB is overkill
---- floppy, USB drive or Flash IDE are sufficient

The board might allow underclocking re power saved.
Some Linux distros & router/firewall fit on a 3.5" floppy.
--
Dorothy Bradbury
www.dorothybradbury.co.uk for quiet Panaflo fans