BlueTooth - Not Sure

Old December 29th 04, 10:31 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

Default BlueTooth - Not Sure

My daughter has a new Hewlett Packard ZV5213 laptop which has built in
11b WiFi.

The Control Panel has a BlueTooth icon plus a BT icon loads on the
taskbar when the computer is started but if I click on it with a BT
enabled phone nearby I get the message 'no BT device found'

Now, I am puzzled; the BroadCom integrated WiFi device has an option
to enable or disable Bluetooth Collaboration under advanced properties
(I did try enabling this but still got the same message), what is BT
collaboration.

The driver shows as BCMWL5 but I can get no inspiration from a google
search or from the broadcom web site.

Any ideas if I have a BlueTooth connection? The manula on CD is no
help as it covers so many models normally with the comment 'if
supported'.

Geoff Lane

Old December 30th 04, 12:21 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
mikeFNB

to use bluetooth you must have a bluetooth adapter/phone/printer nearby or
any device with a bluetooth usb plugin.
it will probably work to a mobile phone with bluetooth fitted as well.

mike

Old December 30th 04, 01:15 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
lurch

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 21:31:07 +0000, Geoff Lane
strung together this:

Any ideas if I have a BlueTooth connection? The manula on CD is no
help as it covers so many models normally with the comment 'if
supported'.

You need to pair the devices before you can do anything. Depending on
what make the phone is depends how you do it.

Bluetooth can be a bit dodgy to set up sometimes. I've got several
bluetooth devices and they don't always play nicely, either in general
day to day usage or in the setting up stages.

When I first got my laptop it had all the drivers loaded, all the
software etc.. was running and I spent weeks trying to get it to talk
with my mobile phone. I eventually found out that it didn't have
bluetooth, but no-one bothered to write it down anywhere.
--

SJW
Old December 30th 04, 03:31 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 00:15:43 +0000, Lurch
wrote:

You need to pair the devices before you can do anything. Depending on
what make the phone is depends how you do it.

But doesn't it need to show up on the computer in order to pair it?

I've done it on another computer but you know what it is like, setting
up is done rarely so you don't get too familiar with it.

Bluetooth can be a bit dodgy to set up sometimes. I've got several
bluetooth devices and they don't always play nicely, either in general
day to day usage or in the setting up stages.

I managed it OK on a laptop where I bought a BlueTooth adapter but on
this HP I'm a wee bit unsure of the set up.

The BroadCom WiFi adapter has an option to enable or disable Bluetooth
Collaboration under advanced properties; I didn't think one adapter
could do both.

Geoff Lane

Old December 30th 04, 07:11 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
lurch

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 14:31:56 +0000, Geoff Lane
strung together this:

But doesn't it need to show up on the computer in order to pair it?

Yes, but they don't always show up unless you set them both up for
pairing, IYSWIM.

I've done it on another computer but you know what it is like, setting
up is done rarely so you don't get too familiar with it.

Problem is that it's also different on just about every device I've
ever used, and it's never gone smoothly first time, or any times after
that come to think of it.

I managed it OK on a laptop where I bought a BlueTooth adapter but on
this HP I'm a wee bit unsure of the set up.

Just have a play with it, it'll work somehow, probably!

The BroadCom WiFi adapter has an option to enable or disable Bluetooth
Collaboration under advanced properties; I didn't think one adapter
could do both.

I have no idea, I've only ever used devices with seperate bluetooth
and WiFi doobries.
--

SJW
Old December 31st 04, 11:57 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 18:11:03 +0000, Lurch
wrote:

The BroadCom WiFi adapter has an option to enable or disable Bluetooth
Collaboration under advanced properties; I didn't think one adapter
could do both.

I have no idea, I've only ever used devices with seperate bluetooth
and WiFi doobries.

Trouble is I cannot get any configuration window to open from Control
Panel although a Bluetooth icon shows.

There are no menu options on the icon in my tray and if I click on it
it says BT device cannot be found.

Geoff Lane

Old January 2nd 05, 01:39 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
lurch

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 10:57:38 +0000, Geoff Lane
strung together this:

Trouble is I cannot get any configuration window to open from Control
Panel although a Bluetooth icon shows.

There are no menu options on the icon in my tray and if I click on it
it says BT device cannot be found.

Ah, that's something that sounds familiar! Are you sure the bluetooth
hardware is actually fitted?

Try uninstalling\reinstalling the drivers and software for the
adapter. Sounds like somethings not been configured properly if
everything is there as it should be.
--

SJW
Old January 2nd 05, 12:40 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 00:39:09 +0000, Lurch
wrote:

There are no menu options on the icon in my tray and if I click on it
it says BT device cannot be found.

Ah, that's something that sounds familiar! Are you sure the bluetooth
hardware is actually fitted?

Not actually sure, my daughter's new laptop with built in WiFi 11b but
the card settings have a 'Bluetooth Collaboration' option, whatever
that is.

Trouble is the manual tends to cover all models and often has the
wording 'if supported' by the comments.

It is difficult to contact any human being at some of these
manufacturers, I don't recall the advertising suggesting BT which I
think it would have done so if it was enabled.

Thanks for input though.

Geoff Lane

Old January 22nd 05, 11:19 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Geoff Lane wrote:

Not actually sure, my daughter's new laptop with built in WiFi 11b

but
the card settings have a 'Bluetooth Collaboration' option, whatever
that is.

Geoff, have you or anyone else finally discerned exactly what this
"bluetooth collaboaration" means? I have the same card/situ. FWIW I
just wasted over an hr with HP getting a "non-info" runaround over it.
;-) Much TIA to anyone who really knows...