BT Broadband

Old December 30th 04, 03:58 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
SJ

Default BT Broadband

Hi a mate has had ADSL installed by BT but he is running it through 3
telephone cables (extensions) but it keeps disconnecting or has a very
slow connection.
The problem being that the main box is downstairs and the pc is
upstairs, what would be the best solution apart from having a new line
installed upstairs.

thanks

steve
Old December 30th 04, 04:33 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article SJ says...
Hi a mate has had ADSL installed by BT but he is running it through 3
telephone cables (extensions) but it keeps disconnecting or has a very
slow connection.
The problem being that the main box is downstairs and the pc is
upstairs, what would be the best solution apart from having a new line
installed upstairs.

Get a single decent extension that uses copper wire, not the
steel/aluminium usually found in cheapo extension kits.

I ran an extension from my main box to upstairs which must've been a
50ft cable run.

--
Conor

-- George Patton
Old December 30th 04, 04:35 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
SJ

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 16:33:54 -0000, Conor
wrote:

I ran an extension from my main box to upstairs which must've been a
50ft cable run.

Any idea where i can get one, has the local shops seem just to sell
the cheap extensions
Old December 30th 04, 05:09 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Cheeky

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 15:58:01 GMT, SJ wrote:

Hi a mate has had ADSL installed by BT but he is running it through 3
telephone cables (extensions) but it keeps disconnecting or has a very
slow connection.
The problem being that the main box is downstairs and the pc is
upstairs, what would be the best solution apart from having a new line
installed upstairs.

thanks

steve

Wireless router?

(e.g.
http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Product...954&GroupID=62)
--

`,,,,`,,,,`,,,,`
Please reply to the group
Old December 30th 04, 05:34 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Andy

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 15:58:01 GMT, [SJ] said :-

Hi a mate has had ADSL installed by BT but he is running it through 3
telephone cables (extensions) but it keeps disconnecting or has a very
slow connection.
The problem being that the main box is downstairs and the pc is
upstairs, what would be the best solution apart from having a new line
installed upstairs.

There shouldn't necessarily be anything wrong with using extension
leads. I have this - I use a normal modem lead plugged into my
modem/router (but previously my 'stingray' adsl modem), this then uses
a 5m and 10m extension leads and then into a doubler in the main
socket. This works perfectly for my 1Mb connection. (The other side of
the doubler has the micro-filter for the phone connection).

If the connection keeps disconnecting or being slow, this may be
indicative of something else (driver update needed for example), or
things like checking for spyware etc.

www.andyweb.co.uk/shortcuts

option 33 & 34 may be worth a look.

If possible, could he move the PC nearer the socket, and then take out
each extension in turn and see if that helps.
Old December 30th 04, 06:32 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
SJ

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 17:34:48 +0000, Andy wrote:

If possible, could he move the PC nearer the socket, and then take out
each extension in turn and see if that helps.

Hi yes i moved the pc next to the box and it works ok,

steve
Old December 30th 04, 07:20 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Andy

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 18:32:23 GMT, [SJ] said :-

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 17:34:48 +0000, Andy wrote:

If possible, could he move the PC nearer the socket, and then take out
each extension in turn and see if that helps.

Hi yes i moved the pc next to the box and it works ok,

steve

Sounds like there must be a duff extension lead perhaps. I suppose
experimenting with all the leads in different positions and different
numbers of them could pinpoint the exact lead - then all you need to
do is get another, they're pretty cheap - even in Argos etc, and
should be fine. Like I said, the ones I've got work fine, and they
came from PCWorld a few years back.
Old December 30th 04, 08:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article SJ says...
wrote:

I ran an extension from my main box to upstairs which must've been a
50ft cable run.

Any idea where i can get one, has the local shops seem just to sell
the cheap extensions

Got mine from B&Q. It was the kit that came with a proper wall socket at
the other end.

--
Conor

-- George Patton
Old December 30th 04, 09:48 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Owen Rees

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 16:35:53 GMT, SJ wrote in
:

Any idea where i can get one, has the local shops seem just to sell
the cheap extensions

If your master socket is a BT Linebox you can wire up your own extension
sockets. BT sell a kit that includes the wiring tool, it is listed on
their business site: http://www.businessshop.bt.com/invt/bbw113. It
does not say, but I suspect that it has 25m of wire. You may find this
or an equivalent in larger DIY stores, but do make sure you get the
wiring tool.

I bought a reel of 4-core phone wire and some sockets at B&Q Warehouse.
I already had the tool from a previous extension I had put in.

--
Owen Rees
[one of] my preferred email address[es] and more stuff can be
Old December 31st 04, 05:24 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Paul

"SJ" wrote in message
Hi a mate has had ADSL installed by BT but he is running it through 3
telephone cables (extensions) but it keeps disconnecting or has a very
slow connection.
The problem being that the main box is downstairs and the pc is
upstairs, what would be the best solution apart from having a new line
installed upstairs.

thanks

steve

I ended up having BT engineers come out and isolate the ADSL signal to ONE
socket only. The engineer fitted a DSL filter TO the actual socket so that I
now don't need any plug in filters, I simply connect the router (with built
in modem) to the socket. I can't plug the Router into ANY other socket of
course but thats no problem. I have a 1000 ft reel of Cat5 Cable at home and
if I wanted to, I could actually go Wireless.