WEP newbie question

Old December 30th 04, 05:28 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jimbo

Default WEP newbie question

Hi people,
I've just plugged my new Linksys Wireless Access Point into my router
and hey presto instant access to the interweb thingy from my laptop. So
next I want to enable the WEP security. So I've enabled the WEP on the
linksys device and setup the WEP keys and applied them.

Now, as expected, my laptop is asking for the WEP security info before
setting up the wireless connection. Windows sticks up a dialog box
saying it's found my linksys network and requires the use of a network
key. I enter one of the generated keys - type it in again to confirm
it!!!! - and click Connect. The window closes but the wireless
connection isn't established.

What am I doing wrong?

Cheers
James.
Old December 30th 04, 05:47 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Boy

"Jimbo" wrote in message
Hi people,
I've just plugged my new Linksys Wireless Access Point into my router and
hey presto instant access to the interweb thingy from my laptop. So next I
want to enable the WEP security. So I've enabled the WEP on the linksys
device and setup the WEP keys and applied them.

Now, as expected, my laptop is asking for the WEP security info before
setting up the wireless connection. Windows sticks up a dialog box saying
it's found my linksys network and requires the use of a network key. I
enter one of the generated keys - type it in again to confirm it!!!! - and
click Connect. The window closes but the wireless connection isn't
established.

What am I doing wrong?

Cheers
James.

if you have an Authentication setting, try setting it to Auto