Windows98 and Linux network

Old December 31st 04, 09:50 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
SuSE

Default Windows98 and Linux network

Hi all, I am new to Linux I desperately need some guidance because my
venture into Linux and my peer to peer network is becoming a real
frustration.
I have two home pc's running Win98SE and a third now running SuSe9-1
personal. Using a standard TCP/IP lan and Samba I have managed to set
up the Suse pc to print to either of the printers attached to the win98
pc's and I can detect and open the shared drives on the win 98 pc's
from SuSe. But when trying the other way, the Linux machine does not
even show up on the network Neighbourhood when browsing. I can ping
the SuSe pc from any of the win 98 pc's but that is all. I cannot
'map to' the Linux machine because I am not 100% certain what the
designation should be and any attempts made fail.
I have set the pc's to co-exist on a domain called HOME and given
them unique IP's. The SuSe pc has been set to share its 'home
folder' and I have just stuck a test file in with the permissions for
sharing read only.

I should add that the SuSe pc is dual boot so I know the network card
etc is not faulty because when it runs Win 98, it can be seen by the
other two machines and files can be shared without a problem.

Can someone kindly on the group point me to the appropriate
documentation location because I just seem to be going around in
circles and loosing heart ?

Thanks

Old January 1st 05, 06:33 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article SuSE says...

Can someone kindly on the group point me to the appropriate
documentation location because I just seem to be going around in
circles and loosing heart ?

Read up about SAMBA.

--
Conor

-- George Patton
Old January 1st 05, 08:31 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dave Stanton

Can someone kindly on the group point me to the appropriate documentation
location because I just seem to be going around in circles and loosing
heart ?

Thanks

Try a post in alt.os.linux.suse

Dave