Trying again-- networking problem

Old January 2nd 05, 01:56 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Stugrad98

Default Trying again-- networking problem

Hi,

I'm trying this again. I have two computers hooked up to a linksys router.
The router is connected to a cable modem. Firewalls have all been disabled.
Each computer can ping their own IP Address. Each computer recognizes the LAN.
Neither machine can ping each other, however. And only one machine, the
older machine, can get Internet Connectivity at all. The new machine cannot get
internet connectivity-- ie it cannot share the internet connection. It
replaced a computer that *was* able to connect to the internet and I haven't
connected the cables any differently. More specific information follows
below; I have tried everything and would really appreciate the help:

Computer 1 (older machine with connectivity):

OP System: XPPro
Network Connections: 1394 Network Adapter (which I've disabled)
Intel Pro 100 VE Network (Local Area Conn 3)
Upon IPConfig I get:
Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection 3
Connection-Spec DNS Connection: ewndsr01.nj.comcast.net
Subnet-Mask: 255.255.248.0
Default Gateway: 69.141.96.1

PPP Adapter:
Connection-specific DNS: [none]
IP Address: 171.131.83.80
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway: [none]

Computer 2:
Op System: XP Home (this is a new machine)
Network Connections: Intel Pro 100 VE Network
IP Config returns:

Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection
Connection-Spec DNS Connection: ewndsr01.nj.comcast.net
IP Address: 192.68.1.101
Subnet-Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.68.1.1

Other info:

I am using a linksys 4 port router. One cable is connected to the cable
modem. Another cable goes from a LAN port to one computer. Another cable goes
from a LAN port to the other computer.

-Stu

Old January 2nd 05, 03:13 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Andrew Welham

Stugrad98 wrote:
[...]

Stu
Something is very wrong here from my reading I see the following

The old PC appears to have a PPP (Point to Point) connection which can
imply that either a modem (PSDN or ADSL) is directly connected to this
machine, and no use of the linksys router is made. How ever there is no
DNS or default gateway for this connection which again is not worrying.

Am i right so far?

Since the IP ranges are different for PC 1 and PC 2 they will not connect.

Can you please give further information, is the linksys router an ADSL
router or just a switch, or do you in fact have routed networks at home?

The new PC has an ip address which could have been allocated by DHCP
from a link sys router the ip range is one found in (RFC 1918) i.e. a
private IP range. The old PC appears to have no Ethernet IP address.

What do you mean by both PCs recognises the lan, I assume you mean the
link is active.

Do you indent to use DHCP for IP address allocation?

Can you give a better description of the set up you would like and the
current configurations, the description should include NICS in each PC
and connections to the network. As well as the TCP/IP details.

Andrew

--
To reply via email, first reverse the address below then replace the
(at) with @ and the (dot) with . moc(tod)xepip(tod)lsd(ta)spuorgswen_werdna
Old January 2nd 05, 03:38 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tony

"Stugrad98" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Stu,

Sorry, tried to reply to your email but AOL blocked my reply.

The problem still seems to be with the older machine. The NIC doesn't seem
to be connecting to the router to get an IP address.

If you click on startconnect toshow all connections

right click on the Local area connection 3 and click on properties. Double
click on internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

Make sure that "Obtain an IP address automatically" is selected.

Also Obtain DNS server address automatically is also selected.

It is strange that the PPP adaptor is there which does indicate that the
modem is connecting directly to the PC and not the router. Can you confirm
that the modem is connected to the WAN port of the router and also that you
have logged in and input connection details (Username & password).

When you connect to the internet on the old machine, do you get another
network icon in the sys tray ?

Tony

Old January 2nd 05, 04:22 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

In article ,
"Stugrad98" says...
Hi,

I'm trying this again. I have two computers hooked up to a linksys router.
The router is connected to a cable modem. Firewalls have all been disabled.
Each computer can ping their own IP Address. Each computer recognizes the LAN.
Neither machine can ping each other, however. And only one machine, the
older machine, can get Internet Connectivity at all. The new machine cannot get
internet connectivity-- ie it cannot share the internet connection. It
replaced a computer that *was* able to connect to the internet and I haven't
connected the cables any differently. More specific information follows
below; I have tried everything and would really appreciate the help:

snip

I am using a linksys 4 port router. One cable is connected to the cable
modem. Another cable goes from a LAN port to one computer. Another cable goes
from a LAN port to the other computer.

Try setting up static addresses:
I'm assuming the router has the default LAN address of 192.168.1.1
and netmask 255.255.255.0
Set PC1 to have address 192.168.1.2, netmask 255.255.255.0, default
gateway 192.168.1.1
Set PC2 to have address 192.168.1.3, netmask 255.255.255.0, default
gateway 192.168.1.1
Ping the PCs from each other. Ping an internet address by number
(e.g. 155.198.5.83 for
www.ic.ac.uk).
Then figure out what DNS server you're supposed to be using.
Old January 3rd 05, 01:48 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On 02 Jan 2005 13:56:43 GMT, (Stugrad98) wrote:

Computer 1 (older machine with connectivity):
OP System: XPPro
Network Connections: 1394 Network Adapter (which I've disabled)
Intel Pro 100 VE Network (Local Area Conn 3)
Upon IPConfig I get:
Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection 3
Connection-Spec DNS Connection: ewndsr01.nj.comcast.net
Subnet-Mask: 255.255.248.0

wot, no IP address ?

you're on a US cable system, has this PC been allocated the cable
external address, it has a default gateway extenal IP address. Is the
router just acting as a pass-through for this machine ?

PPP Adapter:
Connection-specific DNS: [none]
IP Address: 171.131.83.80
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.255

odd that this has an IP address, or is it PPPoE so this is the IP that
is being used. Can you ping 171.131.83.80 from the other machine ?

Computer 2:
Op System: XP Home (this is a new machine)
Network Connections: Intel Pro 100 VE Network
IP Config returns:

Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection
Connection-Spec DNS Connection: ewndsr01.nj.comcast.net
IP Address: 192.68.1.101
Subnet-Mask: 255.255.255.0

you could try putting the 69.141.96.1 address in manually as the
Default Gateway

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !