Mini-Notebook between a PDA and a laptop

Old January 3rd 05, 04:52 PM posted to uk.comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.misc
Bullfrog

Default Mini-Notebook between a PDA and a laptop

What about the OQO:

http://www.oqo.com/

The model 01 ultra personal computer has a 1 GHz processor, 20GB HD, 256MB
RAM, Wi-Fi®, Bluetooth®, USB, FireWire®, audio, thumb keyboard, a 5" 800x480
indoor/outdoor readable LCD and a battery life of up to three hours,
depending on usage.

It's 4.9" x 3.4" x .9" and weighs 14 ounces.

It's just over a grand with Windows XP (Home or Pro) installed

)

Only available in the USA though...

(

"Scooby Doo" wrote in message
Is there a mini-notebook that is in size betwen a PDA and a laptop?

I'm looking, ideally, for a mini-notebook that has a 7" or 8" screen that
runs full Windows software, something like the Sony U3
http://www.dynamism.com/u3/main.shtml.

Basically, I want to use it as a commutting device, off-line browsing so
only really needs USB, Wi-Fi and a full qwerty keyboard. Would be nice to

be
able to put it inside an overcoat without the hassle of a full laptop or

the
cumbersomeness of a PDA?

Are there any plans from the big manufacturers to produce such a device

for
the UK market?

Old January 3rd 05, 07:43 PM posted to uk.comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.misc
David Wade

"Scooby Doo" wrote in message
Is there a mini-notebook that is in size betwen a PDA and a laptop?

I'm looking, ideally, for a mini-notebook that has a 7" or 8" screen that
runs full Windows software, something like the Sony U3
http://www.dynamism.com/u3/main.shtml.

Basically, I want to use it as a commutting device, off-line browsing so
only really needs USB, Wi-Fi and a full qwerty keyboard. Would be nice to

be
able to put it inside an overcoat without the hassle of a full laptop or

the
cumbersomeness of a PDA?

There does not seem to be anything with that size of screen that runs full
windows.
The smallest screens I have seen are the 10" on the tablet PC. Any thing
smaller
seems to run CE (Pocket PC)

Are there any plans from the big manufacturers to produce such a device

for
the UK market?
]

Not that I have seen (there again I would not be privey these days)

Old January 3rd 05, 08:05 PM posted to uk.comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.misc
Mike Redrobe

"Scooby Doo" wrote in message
Is there a mini-notebook that is in size betwen a PDA and a laptop?

I'm looking, ideally, for a mini-notebook that has a 7" or 8" screen that
runs full Windows software, something like the Sony U3
http://www.dynamism.com/u3/main.shtml.

Basically, I want to use it as a commutting device, off-line browsing so
only really needs USB, Wi-Fi and a full qwerty keyboard. Would be nice to
be
able to put it inside an overcoat without the hassle of a full laptop or
the
cumbersomeness of a PDA?

Are there any plans from the big manufacturers to produce such a device
for
the UK market?

They always seem to fail in the mainstream, maybe due to the poor battery
life
- a PDA has no power hungry HDD, a mini-laptop has no room for a large
battery

Older models:

Toshiba Libretto: 7" x 5" ...P120
Palmax PD1000: 8" x 5" P166 (used this with wifi... but runs 98 due to
processor)
Both the above are small enough to fit in an overcoat, but are a bit small
for extended
use.

Fujitsu Lifebook B112 9" x 7" .Celeron 300
(I still use this with wifi...too big for an overcoat pocket though)

--
Mike

Old January 3rd 05, 08:53 PM posted to uk.comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.misc
IP Freely

A rep came to see me recently with a tiny little acer notebook, i think it
might be this one

http://www.acer.co.uk/acereuro/page4...crc=3029696742

check it out

no idea how much they are though

Old January 3rd 05, 08:57 PM posted to uk.comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.misc
Paul Womar

Scooby Doo wrote:

Is there a mini-notebook that is in size betwen a PDA and a laptop?

I'm looking, ideally, for a mini-notebook that has a 7" or 8" screen that
runs full Windows software, something like the Sony U3
http://www.dynamism.com/u3/main.shtml.

I'm still very tempted by the OQO but not convinced of the value for
money in terms of performance, I really want to like Transmeta chips but
know from experience that the Crusoe really isn't a good performer. Have
a look at http://www.shirtpocket.co.uk/ for a few ideas, never used them
myself but they are one of the few places in the UK you can get the OQO
and the Sony U50/70. http://www.pyramid-consultants.uk.com/ is worth a
look too. At the mo I have the Fujitsu P2040 which is a fine
sub-notebook, only let down by the mediocre CPU, I'm pretty sure the
P7010 however doesn't suffer in the same way, 10.6" screen tho:
http://www.fujitsu-siemens.co.uk/pro...s/lifebook_p.h
tml. I'm looking for a similar machine to you I think, if the OQO had
a better CPU I'd get one, given that it doesn't then I'd really like to
play with one before I get one imported. The P7010 is probably the best
buy really.
--
- The email address used in this message *IS* valid -
Old January 3rd 05, 11:24 PM posted to uk.comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.misc
Jeff Gaines

On 03/01/2005 Paul Womar wrote:

[snipped]

really like to play with one before I get one imported. The P7010 is
probably the best buy really. --

A 'wallet sized' notebook with a 10.6" screen.

I should have a wallet that size :-)

--
Jeff Gaines
Posted with XanaNews 1.17.1.2 http://www.wilsonc.demon.co.uk/delphi.htm
Old January 4th 05, 09:48 PM posted to uk.comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.misc
Ric

Paul Womar wrote:
Scooby Doo wrote:

[...]

small, fast, good. pick two.

ric

Old January 5th 05, 02:25 AM posted to uk.comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.misc
Jaimie Vandenbergh

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 18:34:21 -0000, "Scooby Doo"
wrote:

Is there a mini-notebook that is in size betwen a PDA and a laptop?

There are a few. Did you really need to crosspost to five groups?
Betcha a lot of folks kill anything posted to more than three... I
would if Agent could cope with the idea.

I'm looking, ideally, for a mini-notebook that has a 7" or 8" screen that
runs full Windows software, something like the Sony U3
http://www.dynamism.com/u3/main.shtml.

Here's one:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/01...w_samsung_q30/

Looking at older kit (which is good for commuting, since it's cheaper
to drop/have stolen), there's a few other Sony models, Toshiba
Librettos, Fujitsu Lifebooks.

I use an old Fujitsu B142 Lifebook (Celeron 300/192meg, 40gig,
9"x6.5"x1.25", 8.5" TFT 800x600 touchscreen, 2xUSB, 1xPCMCIA with a
wireless card in it). Runs XP better than it runs w98, though the
touchscreen has no XP drivers.

Some going on ebay at the moment, buy-it-now 300euro. Better prices
from the US.

Basically, I want to use it as a commutting device, off-line browsing so
only really needs USB, Wi-Fi and a full qwerty keyboard. Would be nice to be
able to put it inside an overcoat without the hassle of a full laptop or the
cumbersomeness of a PDA?

There's also the Psion 7 or Netbook series, but they're not Windows.

I use a Psion 5 for my ultra-mobile computing: in combination with my
mobile phone I can fix servers across the world with it. Using Telnet,
mostly. And I can develop Java on it too.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.
Old January 9th 05, 04:25 PM posted to uk.comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.misc
Paul Womar

Scooby Doo wrote:

Is there a mini-notebook that is in size betwen a PDA and a laptop?

I'm looking, ideally, for a mini-notebook that has a 7" or 8" screen that
runs full Windows software, something like the Sony U3
http://www.dynamism.com/u3/main.shtml.

Also just seen this which seems like it might be the best match so far,
haven't found a UK source yet, let me know if you do...

http://www.dialogue.com.tw/english/products/flybook.htm
--
- The email address used in this message *IS* valid -